Friday, March 5, 2010

Our return journey...

Thanks so much for joining me on a stroll to la Poste yesterday! I loved your comments. Let's assume we shared a meal at the pizzeria next to la Poste, shall we? That would have been lovely... So, heading back, we pass this shabby but apparantly still very active 'University of the Third Age'. I showed a shot of these two bastide roads last year but I can't resist showing you again how the checkerboard pattern still works, centuries after the town was planned.
It's lovely, walking or cycling round the grid of roads. Driving, not so good...
Through the Halle (click here if you want to know what it's like on a market day!) we can see our next destination - the archway under the poor soldier from the First World War.
This is the Rue du Fort, although there's no fort there now, just the town hall. The language below is Occitane. Quite a lot of people still speak it as a second language, and there is a bilingual class at the primary school.Under the archway, and here are the sirens that wail out every first Wednesday at noon, as a test. They would be used as a warning of bad weather or other danger - ever since a chemical factory exploded in Toulouse we have been well-prepared for possible risks.The Rue du Fort has some very elegant houses, looking out over a market square and the church and war memorial.Past the church, and here is the old municipal toilet, next to the new one! Kind of cute, wasn't it?
A sharp left and we're now looking at the back of the old school, which is now used for Son 1's gym class, a library etc.Down some steps for a reminder of the bad period of municipal architecture. This is the big hall where events are held - it looks like they're doing some tidying up.The Little Prince is everywhere in France.There's a little park past the hall, with some fun architecture.Raja's off!And getting tangled up...This bench/sculpture has been up for several years and must be quite well used, but doesn't get damaged. There is a bit of vandalism in the town, but not too much, and this seems to be respected.There are some fun details on it!Good use of natural and recycled materials...Interesting, isn't it?In the same park you can see the colombiere, or dove cotte. They're an important part of local tradition.And here is the little pond where we sometimes watch for frogs.Putting Raja back onto her short lead, let's head back up the hill, past this cute little shed. I don't know, maybe you just think it's scruffy, but I love the combination of old brick and field pebbles that gets used around here.This is advertising the next big event at the hall I showed you.The banner is just outside the boys' collège - for pupils aged 11 to 15. They're both in there at the moment!But who is this, outside? A very charming elephant who doesn't forget, constructed out of old school books and school bags......by a worker at the youth club opposite. Can you see the totem pole that he also made with some collège students?An older sculpture nearby.Here's the supermarket - we're nearly home! It's only two minute's walk now, but that walk will take us from the busy road into an almost countryside feel. We're very lucky.Check the post box - hurray, Son 1's next Percy Jackson book has arrived from Amazon. He is going to be very happy.Into the garden, where molehills and cycle tracks on the path seem to sum up our lifestyle!And as you may have noticed, we've only just got back in time! I'll dash and get the washing in...... would you prefer tea of coffee?

18 comments:

Coco Rose Diaries said...

Lovely pictures....I feel as if I am with you! Thank you for transporting me away for a while! Have a lovely day! xxx

Beck said...

Oh that was fun! I loved seeing some of the bits that make up your world. I didn't see yesterdays so I'm off to have a look now. I seem to be doing everything backwards lately! Lots of love to you dear Floss xo ps. how cool is that elephant?!

Unknown said...

I will have tea please Floss! I need it, I have only just done the first walk and left a commnet on there, been catching up with you! I love the recycling use, very interesting indeed. What a good idea taking us all on your walk around where you live, it helps to imagine your life so much easier. Have you got that kettle on yet? Suzie xxx

Elderberry-Rob said...

That was lovely floss, I feel like I have just been round yours for a cuppa, sitting here with my cappuccino. I would love to live in France. Maybe more of us should do a blog about our surroundings. I think I may give it a try soon. xxx

Tina said...

I love the walks to and back from the Post Office near where you live, Floss. Hope you got the washing in on time. :) I would love a cup of coffee, please. ;)
xx

Luisa said...

Floss,
what lovely hospitality!
I have enjoyed every picture, and appreciate the time it must have taken to do this post.
The sculpture in the park was truly amazing, but I really love your town, it's so pretty. I imagine it would look very pretty in summer, all green and lovely.
I loved the dove cote! Had no idea they would be so big.
I loved the peek inside your post box...you should see ours, it's tiny!
Thanks for sharing...and oh, I don't mind, I'll have whatever you are making.
x

Sarah said...

That was great. I loved the tour going and on the return, it gives us a great insight into your surroundings. I'll have coffee by the way!

Jill said...

Thanks very much Floss, it has been lovely seeing your neighbourhood, I thoroughly enjoyed the walk.

Hugs RosieP x

Lululiz said...

Tea for me, please, thank you very much! That was even more interesting than yesterday!
Moles, sigh, they are the bane of our lives in France as well. I think ours are supermoles, the molehills they throw up are ginormous!!!

Kissed by an Angel said...

Tea for me please!! I am quite worn out after the walk around your lovely neighbourhood!!! Thank you for taking me, I really enjoyed it!!
xxxx

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

What another wonderful little journey! I so enjoyed this walk in your part of the world ~ it's very beautiful. I love all the history; that is something we don't have much of around here (well, we have several 1700's houses here on the Cape, but certainly nothing dating to the Middle Ages)! ;) All that old brick and stone intrigues me!

~Tonja~ said...

Hi Floss...what a wonderful tour of your town
everything is so interesting loved being able to
take the tour...Thanks for the mini vacation...
Have a Blessed day...
Sweet Blessing...
Tonja
P.S. I will let you know when my package arrives
I am so excited can't wait to see the goodies I won..Thank you again...

Angela said...

Coffee please! I love the baggy-elephant!! What a wonderful walk round your neighbourhood- thanks for all the great photos.
I hope the weather is good for the carnival!!
Lenten Blessings x

Lola Nova said...

Tea please and thank you.
What a lovely walk through the town. I love seeing all the different buildings with the exposed materials, such an interesting mix of color and texture. You are an excellent tour guide. Merci!

Sherri B. said...

I'll have coffee please. Thank you for sharing your walk with us. It is nice to see that buildings and structures are honored and not just tore down...so much history to enjoy.

Autumn Mist said...

This is sooo interesting, and everything's so typically... French, isn't it? It's a brilliant idea for a post, I think there'll be lots of other versions in the blogosphere soon.

Mami said...

Thank you for taking un with you!! It's pleasure time.I sometimes imagine where you are. the imaginations can help me to talk to you..
I look forward to the next walking with laja:))

Josie-Mary said...

Thanks for the tour :) x