Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Little Set of Books... and a question for you

ANOTHER thing I'm grateful for is that my mum gave me and my sister a bit of money to spend last week! How lovely to have a gift like that when you're 40... I decided to buy three second hand books (in keeping with the Challenge of the Utmost Kind, of course), and was delighted to find that Amazon had one of their marvellous 1p offers on a book I'd had my eye on for ages! And it makes this 'set' on my bookshelves look a bit more convincing, too...So, the 'new to me, for just 1p' book is Jane Cumberbatch's original Pure Style. I had one other of her books, and adore her blog. So the original book is a delight to read.
I've snapped one photo from the inside of each book - mmmm, blue (sorry, Mrs Yappy Dog!).
This one was a gift from my mum, two Christmases ago. What a wonderful book it is. Two things you should know: It has inspired its own Flickr group. And Hen from HenHouse is really into it at the moment.
Ahh. Sigh...
Next up is one I bought in Oxfam Books, Stockbridge, during our February visit to Edinburgh. This one is really good, too.I read through the whole book when I bought it, but had to get the Spring pages out the other day for further inspiration. Aren't they wonderful?
And finally: the one that started it all, one of Jane Cumberbatch's later books, about garden style. I bought it for Ben in a bargain bookshop years ago, but I think I've been the one who's read it most!Really an excellent source for simple but inspired garden design and decoration.I know what I'd REALLY like to add to the set when it comes out, although I'll wait for it second hand, and that's Selina Lake's Romantic Style.
j
The publishers of this super bunch of books are Ryland Peters & Small, and I should think that anything they publish would be worth a look. Do you have any of their books?
Actually, that's not the question I mentioned in my title. That question is about an idea I've had, which MummyMad might be interested in, having read her Lent Post, but I wonder if there are any others interested? I thought of doing a series, from next Sunday up until Easter, about telling the Holy Week stories of Jesus to children. I have some good pictures, some craft ideas and quite a lot of story-telling experience as a mum, teacher and Sunday School teacher. I'd enjoy it, but would anyone else? Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

23 comments:

Lx @ Twelve said...

I would be Floss - although I have failed miserably with my Pause in Lent posts due to being unwell, I have really enjoyed reading others. I think it sounds fun for the smalls as well...

Love Lydia xx

Jen Walshaw said...

Smalls post would be great, but the fantastic Ang from Tracing Rainbows sent the boys a letter explaining it out to them and they love it and in fact after two readings know it off by heart nearly!

Plus Maxi found out today that he class are doing the easter assembly at school, which ill be the story of the first easter!

Floss said...

Just wonderful - hurray for Ange!

Beck said...

Hey floss. I wasnn't brought up with any religion so it's all a mystery to me. My kids go to a Catholic school so they know alot more than me! I must say though my interest is growing & I'm finding myself drawn to church & to its community, who knows where this will lead. In the meantime I will watch your blog with interest, as always! xo ps I love all your books, how wonderful to sit and read and find inspiration xo

Elderberry-Rob said...

I don't mind that kind of blue, the pale blue sort, it's lovely you have some fantastic book finds there and lots of lovely inspiration. My kids are too old to appreciate the idea of presenting the Easter story but I would enjoy reading it and I think a lot of mums with smaller children would enjoy this with their families.

FP Wear said...

That'd be great! I'm trying to figure out how to explain Easter to a 2.5 yo, who doesn't really understand about dying (how can you have eternal life without death??). Any help would be appreciated!

Lola Nova said...

Those books look like wonderful inspiration. I have to admit that I don't own one single book like that but, I do check them out of the library often. Such a nice collection you are putting together.

Mami said...

I'd like to hear of your series to children. it is grateful for me learning about that.Also i'm glad if you use simple words as I could understand though..

Joy said...

I adore big picture books like those with loads of inspiration. I know they will give you lots of ohhhing and awwing time.
I think the series is a wonderful idea. Anytime you can tell the Good News is good by me.
♥ Joy

Kelly said...

What lovely books! How kind of your Mum to give you some money for a treat!

Elderberry-Rob said...

p.s. I am surprised you are 40 by the way, it's no great age but you look about 10 years younger.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

What a wonderful collection of books you have. I just love the picture of the bedroom. Such a lovely looking bed. I just love a really well photographed book.

A Thrifty Mrs said...

Fab books. Oh yes I agree, you look younger than 40.

Angela said...

I am so glad that the Minimads liked the Easter Letter I wrote them.
I shall see if I can modify it for my blog!

love the books you've bought

blessings x

Kissed by an Angel said...

Love the books! Yay for mum!!! I'm sure the Easter stories for kiddies will be very appreciated.
xxxx

Country Style Living said...

Lovely books! I have just borrowed the Flea Market Style from the library....

Tilly said...

Love your books. I haven't heard of the Amazon 1p deal, I must look into that.

Ticking stripes said...

I've been living flea market style for a while - from a "needs must" perspective but finding it suits me perfectly and my money goes so much further.Raises a few eyebrows sometimes but I dont' worry about that! Haven't seen Pure Style but will check it out - thanks.

sharie said...

What an interesting collection of books you have there! You've inspired me to track them down.

Its up to you if you wish to tell the religious stories. I always liked them as a kid and I'm sure others would be interested.

jackanne said...

Hi,i have just found your lovely blog, lucky you living in France i visited Montrichard many years ago on a school swap residential,a wonderful place. I love the books you bought lucky you. hugs xx jackanne.

jackanne said...

hi again,just wondreing which village did you teach in i lived in a place called Blencarn sorry for being nosey!!hugs

Floss said...

Thank you for your encouragement, everyone - I will give the Stories of Jesus for Children posts a go!

andamento said...

Lovely books, I want them all! I've already too many though.