Thursday, March 4, 2010

Come on a walk with me...

I need to take Raja up to la Poste - if you come it too will be a fun way to show you some daily life in a French town! We're off to a good start, with this great stamp produced by la Poste to support Haiti. I was really impressed by that idea. So the stamp is on, and off we go, past the field on one side...
... and the lotissement (estate) on the other.
On the corner of the road you can see the old alongside some more new development.
Round the corner and in towards town, here's the retirement home. The Solidarity Club from the College come over here to entertain the elderly residents.
This is the primary school playing field, with one of the schools in the background. The field was in a dreadful state last summer, and has been ploughed, presumably with the intention of re-seeding it.
Here's a pretty bit of spring planting by the school crossing!
No, Raja!
Between the school and the fire station is the cemetery. French graveyards are like little cities, not little fields.
On the corner is the vet's. Raja scoots past hastily...
Across the road on the cemetery wall is the road name - as with many French roads it's been named in memory of a war and the civil and military dead.
Round the corner, here's the gate to the cemetery. Quite imposing.Turning left, we're into the bastide - the checkerboard planned town, established in the middle ages. The straight lines are still there, although the buildings must have changed many times.I love the shabby brickwork on this garden gate.O la-la! We have a new electronic signboard in the town centre!We're also gearing up for elections, and the boards are up around the Halle for the candidates' posters.Down the main road of the orignial bastide, and here is la Poste!In I go, to post Tonja's giveaway parcel and Elizabethd's book (much enjoyed, and a miraculously fast return!). Raja waits patiently... until two children go past and I can hear her whining for attention for the rest of my stay in the building. The children watch from the door, enthralled...Time to rescue the poor, abandoned doggie and post the letter with the Haiti stamp!All errands run. Thanks for your company!
Would you like to go back by a different route? Shall we do that tomorrow?

28 comments:

Jen Walshaw said...

Thank you for my little ramble round your ville, I will be back for the return journey tomorrow. Bon Soir

Lola Nova said...

That walk was just the thing. Thank you for taking me along, I did so enjoy the sights and the company. Will be back tomorrow for certain.

Jill said...

Thanks very much for that, I really enjoyed it and wait in anticipation for the return journey tomorrow. Doggie is very sweet.

Hugs RosieP x

magsmcc said...

Oh, Floss- let's go for a walk past les halles on the next jour de marche?! (Apologies for missing accent- haven't worked the technology of that out yet at all!)

Kissed by an Angel said...

That was lovely!! So nice to see where you live!! Can't wait for the return journey tomorrow!! The only thing is... I hope it doesn't rain tonight or I will be soaked waiting for you!!!!
xxxx

Floss said...

Well, there's a littl pizza restaurant next to la Poste, so you could be happy sheltering there!

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

I loved your little journey to the post (and that stamp is a marvelous idea)! What a beautiful place you live in! The cemetery reminds me of the ones in New Orleans (no doubt the French influence is still very obvious down in N.O.)! ;)

VintageVicki said...

Making me want to come on holiday to France now :) Thanks for the tour - more pics soon I hope.

A Thrifty Mrs said...

What a pretty place to live.

harmony and rosie said...

Count me in for tomorrow's walkies. Love the graveyard, you weren't wrong about it being like a city. We had blue roan cocker when I was growing up, they are such sweeties aren't they? x

April Cottage Ramblings said...

What a brilliant idea.... a crafty walk about. Perhaps I will do the same. This weekend I am off to Windsor for a few days. Perhaps I could get Queenie to pose for a few pickies..

It brings everything into perspective when you can relate to something with pickies. Have a great evening. Jayne

April Cottage Ramblings said...

P S see you tomorrow....

Unknown said...

I love that Floss! Yay for everyday life!

Maisey's Attic said...

What a lovely post - so nice to see where you live - and to read that you are feeling better- count me in for tomorrow - xx

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for that lovely walk. I enjoyed it so!

Catherine said...

Wish I was really there to join you...!! Enjoyed the little dander with you! Cx

Luisa said...

Oh I loved, loved, loved that Floss...what a wonderful way to show us a bit of your town.
So much better than a reality tv show!
brilliant...
yes more please!
xx

Apron Senorita said...

Hi Floss,
You inspire my spirit. I have finally been able to slow down a bit to mediate and learn from women of wisdom as yourself. This Lent has been so special because after searching, we finally found our home church. What a wonderful walk with God. And thank you for taking us along with you!

Yoli

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your trip into town - enjoyed the photos. Enjoy your weekend.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

That was fun. I thought the cemetery was beautiful. They are such interesting places. I enjoyed your company too and look forward to another stroll tomorrow.

Pondside said...

It's so interesting to get a peek into everyday life of somewhere far away.

BusyLizzie said...

thank you for sharing, it is fascinating to compare towns. Have a wonderful weekend, Lizzie x

Lululiz said...

Oh yes, please, lets have another walk tomorrow, I love it. This is my kind of walking, lolol, I don't get out of breath, don't get sore feet, can enjoy a cup of tea...... the only drawback is, I'd much rather have the real you for company.

Freddie said...

OOooh it's like being on holiday when I visit my family in Seysses, which , if I'm not mistaken, you probably know quite well ;-)

Unknown said...

Floss I really enjoyed our jaunt together! Yes, can we go on another one tomorrow please! Gosh the french graveyards really are something aren't they? Sorry if I have missed some posts, I have been looking after my 80 yr old relative who has just had a hip op. Suzie xxx

Lorrie said...

I must have missed this yesterday, so I read today's post about the walk home first, then came over here. How interesting!

I'll take tea, please. One sugar.

Lorrie

Autumn Mist said...

What a lovely post. And Raja is such a darling. If she ever misses England... This answers what I was wondering about whether you live in the country or a town, so now I would like to know what took you to France in the first place? Is there a post you can refer me to so you don't have to repeat yourself? Glad you are well enough to be out and about now.

Joy said...

Thank you so much for the tour. What a lovely place to live. I really enjoyed all the pictures.
♥ Joy