Friday, March 19, 2010

Flowers and fabrics

The mimosa is out around Toulouse! For the past five years I've watched people gathering it in bunches and taking it to each other as a spring greeting - mothers shepherding small children into school with fluffy yellow clouds of the stuff for their teachers, and people with trees in their garden sharing it with family who have none. Well, we don't have a tree, but this year I did find a neglected mimosa, with no owner, and was able to pick some for our own home for the first time! Next weekend it's our town flower fair, and I think I WOULD like to become the owner of a mimosa tree...
There's a different flowery embroidered cloth on the table, this one from France,
while the Scottish one bleached out its varied stains very nicely in the morning sun, before being dashed inside as the grey clouds gathered!
In addition to those vintage hankies I bought in a charity shop on Monday, I also found this modern, mass-produced but very charming piece of boutis.
This afternoon it found a home on my rocking chair, and a friend in Sarah's cushion.
And last but not least, on the same day, in the same shop, I picked up this piece of Floss Fabric.
What else could you call it? It's actually a circular tablecloth, and we don't have a round table, but it was Floss Fabric and at 5€ for the whole set of hankies and all the fabric, I think I just had to buy it...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mimosa is beautiful, can you imagine that I've never seen it yet only in a picture?? I like your fabrics ,Floss , they're so lovely.
Have a nice weekend!
hugs:Manka

Michela said...

Unfortunately Mimosa is a very delicate tree, which can't bear cold weather, it needs a shelter during Winter..that's why we're no more Mimosa's owners!
Enjoy your scented bunch of flowers and have a good weekend! xxx

Jen Walshaw said...

Yes we live too far north for mimosa, I do hope you get your tree. I am on a we need flowers for the garden this year thing. I am going to start asking people about cuttings etc. We are in a new build and got the grass a nd the veggies done but no is time for my pretties

Kissed by an Angel said...

The Mimosa is beautiful!! Love all the embroidery!!
Have a lovely weekend!!
xxxx

Sherri B. said...

You always find such pretty things on your thrifty ventures. Love to see the linens on the line.
I will be posting pictures later of some magazines on their voyage across land and sea.

Lola Nova said...

What a lovely spring inspired collection! I love the embroidered cloths of course! Yes, that fabric is Floss fabric for sure.
We have just planted two new trees "purple prince crab-apple" through a wonderful organization here called Friends of Trees. They sell certain types of trees at a very discounted price, then plant them for you. In turn, we volunteer to help in planting other neighborhoods with trees.

VintageVicki said...

Can almost smell those hyacinths :)

I shall be keeping a watch out for the postie next week ;)

Have a great weekend xx

maryannlucy said...

I love mimosa, I so miss it from when I lived in Portugal. A real sign of Spring.

Jeannette said...

That boutis is gorgeous! What a great find.
And what a treat that you always can find some ´Floss Fabric´. ;)
Have a wonderful weekend,
Jeannette

Elderberry-Rob said...

Mimosa, my grandmother loverd it. France must be the place for thrifting embroidered pretties, you have some lovely pieces. I love the way you change your displays so often.

Sophie - Chez Sophie said...

Lovely mimosa, and I'm loving your collection of linens. Have a lovely weekend.
Luv Sophie xxx

Mami said...

Your enbridered cloth reminds me of sweet memories.
Mum's embroidered works at home such as France embroideries.

Have a sweet weekend!!

Andi's English Attic said...

Our mimosa doesn't come out until May. Such a beautiful perfume.

Josie-Mary said...

The mimosa is beautiful, I've never heard of it...think I might need to google that :) x

Michela said...

Hi again! I forgot to ask if in France people give Mimosa to women for the Women's Day..here every woman (or quite so) receive a little bunch of Mimosa on the 8th March!

sharie said...

What a beautiful flower. I had heard of it before but have never seen those soft fluffy blooms before. Thank you for posting the pics.

harmony and rosie said...

I love the smell of mimosa. What luck you've had in finding the boutis and the linens. I've acquired a boutis recently but am terrified to wash it - have you done yours? xx

sarah-jane down the lane said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Mimosa, we dont have any here or nearby so it is a real treat to see yours, it so reminds me of France,

Sarah x