Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Final Pause in Lent

Today is the day when Lent really changes pace. Before, it was all about reflection and preparation. Now, if you're following the traditional Catholic or Protestant calendar (which my church doesn't, actually), it becomes full of action - out of the abstract and into the very, very solid. My Palm Sunday post for children is below, and gives an idea of the kind of action we can expect for the next few days. The coming week is known as Holy Week and it follows carefully, and quite acturately in terms of timing, the events of the last week before Jesus' crucifixion, death and resurrection. I like the fact that Jesus was in Jerusalem to celebrate Passover - first, it emphasises his essential Jewish heritage, and secondly, it gives us an accurate timing for when it all happened, unlike the unknowable date and time of his birth. This year, Passover begins on March 30th and ends on April 5th.
I wanted to write the series for children because this bit, full of stories, actions and tangible objects like palm branches, coats, bread, wine, even nails, is where they can begin to understand what is going on and truly prepare for Easter in a way that the abstract ideas of Lent can't offer them.
j
I think it's not much different for me. I want to live the stories of Jesus in Holy Week to the full, so that I don't miss a thing in this most gripping, harrowing, emotionally-charged and finally triumphant week!

8 comments:

Kissed by an Angel said...

The Easter stories for children are brilliant! Well done!
xxxx

Angela said...

Thanks Floss - APIL has been a real blessing
Now onto the Easter Explanations!!
x x x

Pondside said...

I've enjoyed A Pause in Lent very much - thanks so much for organizing it!

Pom Pom said...

Me, too! Thank you for organizing it! I'm so thankful I'll have time to reflect this week. I hope your week is especially meaningful, Floss.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Our Church often uses symbolic tools, one year we were all given a nail to keep in our pocket for the whole week of passover - it was very thought provoking, another year a stone (they varied in what was written on them from King, Saviour, Lord, etc.) These visual tools are brilliant for adults too. I was surprised how many times I felt for that nail!

Lorrie said...

Participation for me has only been through reading posts. They have been a blessing to me in the upheaval of moving. Perhaps next year I'll take part by writing posts as well.

Thank you for organizing this.

Anonymous said...

this is wonderful Floss. you are such a thoughtful writer xx

magsmcc said...

Floss, this is really fabulous. I'm moved nearly to tears by your inspiration. I'm following you and Angela at Tracing Rainbows very closely this week, partly because I'm feeling devoid of inspiration with the strawberries- I've seen these two weeks more as a big school-less hole to be filled with sanity saving activities than as the week you so beautifully set out here. Partly too because Pronce Charming is leading a slot in our Good Friday three hour open church mediatation, and is aiming at a kids and family thing- so I'm taking notes!!