Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Vintage Shopping this time (still in Edinburgh)

Well, Juanita sent me best wishes this morning and added: 'I hope you've managed to do more vintage shopping, visit charity shops, and some sewing!' Not likely to manage all that in one day, I thought! How wrong I was... I jumped off the double decker bus outside the birthplace of Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling wrote most of her first book as a struggling single mum in the wonderful Elephant House cafe...
I headed down the hill, with the castle just hidden behind these buildings...And found myself in the Grassmarket, where I haven't been since before the boys were born! Yes, they did sell grass there once - hay, I think, for animals.
Doesn't it look conventional, outside? But it's the home of that amazing young man on his flying trapeze... And inside, mummy cases rub shoulders with vintage dresses.The displays are quirky and exciting. And it's also the home of the vintage sporran. I don't actually like the fabrics of most vintage dresses, as I prefer natural fibres or the more modern artificial ones. But here was a wonderful robe embroidered in wool...Across the square, Barnardo's Charity Shop runs a Vintage Store!It was a very impressive collection, but I resisted everything, partly because my mum and I have been sorting through such wonderful treasures at home - I have no need to buy more!
So it was off down Princes' Street (crazy at the moment, with all the Tram works), where I bought such non-vintage essentials as socks and a swimsuit in M&S...
And I did make it to the charity shops too, Juanita! Down in Stockbridge (a wonderful village now swallowed up by Edinburgh) I bought this sweet, sweet mother of pearl flower and charms. I think I may hang it from the window - the window which doesn't already have Juanita's elephant ornament!And I even managed a tiny bit of patchwork today, so I did achieve everything...
Good night from me and the elephant.

4 comments:

JuanitaTortilla said...

Aw, see? Shopping AND sewing in a day -- it is possible!
Say, where are the boys while mummy is out and about enjoying the sun and shops of Edinburgh?

Shabby Chick said...

Looks like a fabulous day, that shop with the trapeze artist looks fascinating! The mother of pearl ornament you bought is so pretty.

Mel xxx

Elizabethd said...

What a day! Oh to visit M and S again!

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Ooh Floss, I see what you mean about my kind of shops and you are right! I would love to look around there. I did have fun looking at the photos to see if there is anything I spotted.The dress & parasol looked like possible candidates!
Take care
Isabelle x