Sunday, April 5, 2009

Guess where..?

As I looked at this cropped detail, which I really like, it struck me that it's impossible to work out the scale or even the material of which it's made. So here's the guessing game for today: guess the origin of this photo! Answer at the bottom of the post...So today is Palm Sunday, and my parents' church, having a traditional building, provided an illustration of the first Palm Sunday for my post! Jesus, riding into Jerusalem on a donkey, instead of the war horse everyone expected. This doesn't look like my image of Jesus, mind you. Does it match your expectations?
The children were given real palm branches (someone, somewhere, has a well-trimmed tree) and waved them enthusiastically, just as you can see in the stained glass window above.
Here are two beautiful lily borders from another window in the church...
And this is the answer to the guessing game - it's the balcony in the church. Really beautiful, isn't it? The church was built in 1823, so I presume this decoration, and maybe the colour too, are original.

I sometimes find the high ceilings and imposing architecture quite daunting in traditional church buildings, so I enjoy finding the little details, and feeling the link back to the craftspeople who made them.

Tomorrow: SHOPPING!

5 comments:

Shabby Chick said...

That's a lovely balcony! I thought the design was from a little box! There used to be a beautiful gallery all around the church my grandparents used to go to but they "modernised" it in the 1990's and ripped it out all together, along with every other attractive feature :(

That stained glass is gorgeous xxx

Ali @ Betty and Violet said...

Great post! I thought it might be a ceramic bathroom tile ~ I really did get the scale wrong!

Lace hearts said...

What beautiful photographs. Some church galleries are so stunning, but the stained glass always awes me. x

Tinyholder said...

Hiya! I didn't know this until recently, but the only time you ever see rats in the daylight is when the males fight and one gets chucked out of the group. We've just noticed traces of rats our compost bins and unfortunately if you have any kind of food waste out you'll get them. I worry about my little chooks and the rats! :-) That's right, you can't put anything citrus (because of the acid) or raw onion or garlic in the worm composter. You can't put citrus on compost either because the acid kills the bacteria and slows down decomposition.

Jeannette StG said...

I love the embellishment of the balcony. I'm with you on the stained glass illustration -Jesus looks there more like a celeb than I always have pictured him...and the two gingers up -to me it's too cultural of a sign:)