Thursday, April 23, 2009

I cried at the Braderie today...

Well, for those of you who don't know what a braderie is, this title is indeed as odd as it sounds. A braderie is only a hyper-organised version of a twice-yearly jumble sale (the French are in fact hyper-organised, despite stereotypes to the contrary), so what on earth could bring tears to my eyes?I'd gone along to the large but slightly down-market braderie near my Thursday lunchtime lesson, mainly in the eternal search for more trousers for Son 2 and some fabric for my stash.
Both searches were successful. Some nice linen here; much cheaper buying it this way:I also discovered the knot of vintage scarves for one euro that I'd turned down in the autumn:
The red, white and black one is smudged and ruined, but discovering that this Pierre Cardin one is a lovely silk, and in great condition, decided me... And this orange rayon one is great fun, even if it's in poor condition.For 33c each, why not?So, taking one last turn round a table I'd visited before, amongst the collected grot of the last two decades, I suddenly saw a glimpse something else:And tears prickled in my eyes! I didn't bawl, you'll be glad to know, but I was quite surprised by the strength of my emotion.
It's not very old, it's not even hand-stitched, but the pearl buttons and the cotton and the careful stitching speak of something else to me, something far away from the nylons and machine production of the rest of the braderie offerings.Even if it's not a fine example, more of a copy, I was transported from mass-production to craftsmanship.Seeing it there, unappreciated, at only one euro when everything else was going for two or more, I nearly wept for it!
But I think this little top has come to a good home now.Are there things in the fabric world that can move you to tears?

6 comments:

Elizabethd said...

So glad you gave it a good home, I know the feeling, especially when you see once loved teddies on a stall. I cant bear it (ooooh, pun sorry!)

Sal said...

Yes..I am definitely moved to tears when I think about curtains from my past homes,which I have thrown away! ;-(
Lovely post!! ;-)

A Thrifty Mrs said...

Looks like you got some lovely things. I cry buckets when I see wedding dresses and I have no idea why!

Sonia said...

Oh, that eyelet is just so pretty on the top. I lovveeee eyelet... and for a euro??!!

Josie-Mary said...

It's odd when you hit that age when everything brings a tear to your eyes!! My friend emailed me on Monday to say she's having a baby, they've been trying for about 12 years..... I must confuss I did shed a tear out of happiness!! Glad you didn't blub, the top is very pretty. I like the scarves to, I have loads but I always pick them up at boot sales :)

OldBagNewTricks said...

Oh, I am so glad you rescued such a handsome handmade piece. I am a rescuer too. If you weren't so far off I would haul a big portion of my fabric stash to add to your fabric stash
(because mine's gotten way out of hand!

Jenny