Sunday, April 26, 2009

French Style - Charity Shopping

When I first arrived in France, used to little UK high-street charity shops, I concluded that they're just weren't any charity shops in France. Then a friend pointed out I was looking in the wrong places! The Secours Cathloique and Emmaus shops aren't little stores on the street - they're big warehouses on the trading estates!
It's a bit overwhelming sometimes, but the ladies who run them pay great attention to detail, and on Friday I discovered this bijou little corner just inside Veti Relais!
A vintage wedding special!Look at this happy couple! They've included a lot of their usual stock to great effect (lace 80c a metre):
I liked this dark little corner... The rest of the store is, as usual, decorated by someone very creative - I really don't know who went to such lengths as to paint these lovely murals above the cash till. These plates are so nicely displayed.
And oh, look, a little vintage-style apron!
Some lovely ladies, up on the opposite wall... So, Vive les Maries!
I'm going to take a three-day break (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) from blogging, because I've got quite a lot of projects as well as French irregular verbs to learn!

I want to finish and post off my PIF gifts to Ashley and Juanita.
I need to complete this swap, which I'll be sending to Sharon, the Crafty Trundler.
And I only just signied up for this birdie swap, but I have some fantastic bird ideas and am looking forward to getting going on this one, even though I don't know who I'm paired with yet! I think you can still sign up for it - check it out here.

16 comments:

Sonia said...

Wow, that charity shop is just amazing!! I love crochet lace. I'm sure in France that comes in abbundance. Thank you for taking us shopping again. I'm really enjoying these posts.
Sonia

Josie-Mary said...

OMG that shop looks fantastic..... I could spend many a happy hour in there. Not sure about the happy couple..LOL!!!
Have a good break, hope you get things done. I'm in London Tues & Weds so no blogging for me... I'd like to take my laptop but maybe not I should be working. Does your mum still live in the Exeter area? If so we should meet for coffee when you're back in July. :)

Mandy said...

Oh I love the shops ! they are great What a great find xxx

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Looks like a great place to just roam around in. Love stores like that. Thanks for the tour. I am located adjacent to a very large metro. area, but there are not many thrift stores, and I must go at the wrong time, as there is not a lot of the "good stuff", mainly clothes and such.
Have a great day.
Glenda

Elizabethd said...

We have a huge Emmaus near here, you could not only furnish the house, but also plumb in all the bathrooms, kitchens etc!
That looked very like a Kath Kidston vintage apron to me?

Sal said...

What a lovely post!
Hope you enjoy your blogging break!!
;-)

Beck said...

Ooh I am so jealous..I would love to spend some time at that shop. I loved all the photos...have a lovely break x

sumea said...

Heavenly!
x

Thecraftytrundler said...

What a lovely "charity shop"!!! I will have to visit France! I want to go on a spree there now!
Enjoy your break, I am really looking forward to mine.
Just to let you know, the parcel was posted this morning by airmail, so hopefully you should receive it very soon!! I love doing swaps, it's fun deciding what to make, and making it, also nice to get a surprise through the post!!

Sharon xxx

Country Cottage Chic said...

What a lovely place! It must be great tohave a lot to look through all in one place. Our charity shops are pretty much useless now - I think they all sell on ebay!

Mrs. Cozy Home said...

Oh what I would give to come shopping!! I LOVE the yellow teapot in one of the photos.

What a great peek into your world!

Kris said...

Oh' I could spend all day shopping the charity shops. Of course I would need a boat or plane to get me there first. :) Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving your lovely comments. Of course you can enter to win the giveaway. It is open to everyone. GOOD LUCK!!

I love your blog and all the photo's. I'll definitely be back to visit again.

Have a happy day

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Oh that apron is devine! Did you buy it? What a fabulous shop. It looks like you could get a few very good bargains in there.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Hi again! Did you see this on my blog? http://sarah-redgingham.blogspot.com/2009/04/polka-dot-picnic.html
Thought it might give you an idea of what to do with your apron.

French Knots said...

wow looks like a great shop to have a mooch about in - and really big!
Love the pretty pinny.

Unknown said...

Lovely blog. I just went to sign up for the swap but must have just missed out :( Guttered! How do you find out about them?