Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Treasures in silk and lace

Here is just the tiniest glimpse of some of the treasures my mother and I sorted through last week. I'm going to have to take the time to sort through my photos properly, but here is a taster of what happens when you open a wooden chest at my parents' house: Mainly Chinese, mainly clothes, mainly picked up quite cheaply in antique shops and fairs over the years!
Incredible detail...Some on entire robes, and others in bits...Of course the British are properly represented too! What was this sweet bag doing among the Chinese embroideries? We used to live near Honiton in Devon, so Honiton lace is very well represented. But there are plenty of other laces and needleworks too. So many sad little souveniers of the First World War,some of them quite heartbreaking.And just a piece of nostalgic ephemera for those who remember shopping in Exeter in the old days!My own baby dress, made by my Aunty Faith. I seem to have been as messy with food as my own sons!
An incredible Second World War Scarf - I will do an entire post later on the fantastic slogans. And let's not forget the buttons, which I've shared already.
While sorting through all these treasures, we found other items which were good but worn in places, and which could be turned into crafted items. I've brought them home and have started a bit of work - in silk and lace, but with a few other vintage items thrown in too. If you sign up for the Pay it Forward event below then you could, or in fact would, find out just what I've brought home! I realise that not everyone has the time to do something like Pay it Forward, and that others have done it before, but I'd be delighted to have the full three people for whom I could 'Pay it Forward'!

6 comments:

Sal said...

Well,I'll be jiggered..Exeter!!

You'll be interested to see that Wippell's is still going strong!

http://exetermemories.co.uk/EM/wippells.html

;-)

Elizabethd said...

What lovely things, I remember doing much the same with my mum. But what do I do with all the things I have collected...most of which hold little interest for my children??

Thecraftytrundler said...

WHAT A MARVELLOUS DISCOVERY!! I love Antique & Vintage textiles, and it is so special, as all the items have a story to tell! ( I FEEL ANOTHER BLOG ON THE WAY!!!)

Dave's mum has a trunk of her old patterns, fabrics, and sewing things. She said we can have a look when she feels a bit better!!

Sharon xxx

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

Wow! What a lovely way to spend the day with your mum!
Love the Treasures!
Debbie Moss

JuanitaTortilla said...

I was holding my breath in awe from looking at those gorgeous embroidery and silk, and laces... Wow.

A Thrifty Mrs said...

Wow how lovely!