Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Weighing Buttons... the things I do for blogging!

Have Grandma's vintage scales - will weigh buttons! Angela asked me to weigh this large haul of mainly Mother of Pearl buttons in Imperial pounds and ounces. Well, in my parents' house, that's the only measurements you'll get!
It doesn't look quite so huge a haul when I pour it into the pan, but it really is quite something, coming as it did mainly from one Charity Shop (Marie Curie Cancer Care in Corstorphine, Edinburgh - lovely alliteration, don't you think?) I paid quite a lot for these, but cancer care is something very important to our family now, so I could hardly begrudge being asked to pay a fair price.
So, how much do you think this haul weighed, dear readers?
More than an ounce, obviously...
And more than two...
The weights go up by doubling...
It's a huge pleasure to use these scales which were such a part of my childhood. Then, it was my grandma who put them away still dusted with flour - now it seems to be me! This flour is from a rhubarb crumble I made for my parents. We did enjoy it...
Look, a pound, and not quite tipping!
But one pound and one ounce takes it over.
So let's go for one pound and half an ounce, and a low-level view of my mother's beloved garden.
There you go, one pound and half an ounce's worth of buttons, from Marie Curie Cancer Care and St Columba's Hospice Shop, Edinburgh! They are now safely home with me in my button tin, which looks just like the one Serenata found this weekend, only more battered...
j
I have really appreciated your kind thoughts and prayers as my mum has been getting iller. I'll post more about how things are going later in the week, when I've had more time to reflect on the situation - for the moment I can just tell you that I had a really special visit to my parents and am very happily back home now!

20 comments:

Elizabethd said...

That is quite a weight of buttons!

I hoped you might be back in time to enter the letter writing swap I'm doing. although it closed today I have a request for some children to join in...would yours be interested?

Prayers for your mum. XX

Elderberry-Rob said...

Even when you aren't with your mum, Floss, you are close to her in spirit, keep cheerful and positive as that is good for her as well as you, blessings to you and keep counting those buttons (I imagine you probably count buttons as you go to sleep at night where others' count sheep!)
Betty x

Serenata said...

Oh Floss I'm glad you are home and have posted...I've been worrying about you all!

An amazing haul of buttons I must say, I can imagine many a pleasant minute or two being whiled away sorting through those, or even just running your hand through them.

Special {{hugs}}

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Oh I hope your mother is feeling a little cheered up from your visit. And that rhubarb should have helped a little too. She's very lucky to have such a wonderful daughter.

I've never seen so many pretty buttons at once. I can't believe they weigh that much! My Gran still uses her scales just like those ones. They are just beautiful and they never run out of batteries either.

Lx @ Twelve said...

Dear Floss

I've had a blogging break & am now catching up. So saddened to read of your mum being so very poorly still, but lovely to read that you have been able to get to spend time with her.

I just wanted to let you know that I will be holding you in my thoughts.

Love Lydia xx

Sherri B. said...

What a joy to use the scales that have such precious family value. It is good to know you are home safe. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers.

Joy said...

Oh my goodness what a fabulous old scale. I love the peek out your Mum's window too. So pretty.

I will pray for your mother.
♥ Joy

Maisey's Attic said...

Hi Floss - what lovely scales - your mothers garden looks so beautiful.

Keeping you all in my prayers - xxx

Frances said...

There is something quite perfect about seeing those pearly buttons in the bowl of that set of scales. Perfect balance. Technology of the scale, beauty in the design of said scale and in each and every one of those pretty buttons.

Best wishes to you and to your mom.

Lululiz said...

Flipping heck, Floss, thats an amazing amount of MOP buttons!! I don't think I have ever seen so many in one place. WOW.
Thinking about your mum often. Its so good that you can go and visit her as much as you do.

VintageVicki said...

How come I never find any buttons in the CS's? Answer they are all in Edinburgh ;)

Sending best wishes to your Mum

Vicki xxx

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you and those you love. xx

Michela said...

Hi Floss, I've been popping in during the last days to see if there was any news from your mum, I'm so sorry to hear that she's getting worse. Hugs xxxx

Autumn Mist said...

Like others I just want to express my deepest wish that your mum gets better soon. I will be praying for her (and you) too. And in the meantime, what are you going to do with all those buttons? And you've reminded me I'd better get out there and pick the rhubarb!

Jen Walshaw said...

The buttons are wonderful and I am glad that you had a speical visit. I am sorry that times are hard and am thinking of you and yours

Princess and the Pea said...

I love buttons! I have never thought of looking in charity shops for them though! My Nan used to work in a button factory - you'd expect her to have thousands of them all over the house but unfortunately, she doesn't :(

I'll be in your area soon Flos, visiting my Grandad - as soon as we can get a cheap enough flight!

Hope your Mum starts to improve soon.

x

Angela said...

Lovely buttons - and thanks for indulging my Imperial weightiness!

sharie said...

Sorry to hear you had to leave your dear Mum while she was still poorly. I hope you can visit again very soon , sending best wishes from me.

Wow that is a lot of buttons! I use imperial weights too as thats the only thing my vintage scales measures in.

Unknown said...

I love those scales Floss (and the buttons!), it is really special to have memories of an object which lasts out from childhood! It is a magical feeling to use something that holds so memeories. The glimpse of you Mum's garden is very inticing. You and your Mum are never far from my thoughts Floss, I send my love to you. Suie xxxxx

Andi's English Attic said...

Weighing buttons? How wonderful to have so many they actually move the scales. I think it was a good buy.

Best wishes to you and your mum. xx