Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Story of a Sofa

Ben and I have had our sofa pretty much as long as we've been married, which means it's coming up for 20 years old... It's also not so much a sofa as a settle, with a wooden, bench-style back and, originally, nothing but a thin futon mattress to sit on, which has made it pretty uncomfortable seating for lots of surprised visitors!It's become more comfortable over the years, as we've added a second futon matress, and now a huge piece of furnishing foam which Son 1 cleverly found by the side of the road (bring 'em up thrifty, that's our motto!)It's seen some wonderful cushions, including those made by Sarah of Red Gingham and Serenata the Balancing Kiwi (thanks, ladies), and been christened The Worldly Sofa by Sarah. (Why, Sarah? Is it because of its global connections, or that it seems to hold all my worldly goods?)
j
But somehow, it's been very lack-lustre recently. One dog and two boys are part of the problem, of course... mud, hair and constant shuffling about take their toll, however vigilant the home-maker (yep, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...)
And then I found this crochet throw (known as an afghan, I think?) at the Vide Greniers in our local school this Sunday. Made by the vendor's grandma...
It's not perfect yet, but I think finally things are coming together for our sofa again...

16 comments:

Catherine said...

It looks just like the sort of comfy sofa I love to cuddle up on! The throw is lovely! Cx

Elderberry-Rob said...

Goodness 20 years! we are on our third sofa in 15 years - I guess your kids don't jump/bounce/throw themselves into their seats? we should have housetrained ours earlier I think!

Selfsewn said...

mmm I do love that afghan!
The fence was cool too.

I have an almost bare sofa waiting for inspiration!

Clare x

Michela said...

Do you believe me if I tell you that our sofa+armchairs are 30 years old???!
xxx

Karen Roderick said...

Nothing like a few gorgeous cushions to freshen things up!

Serenata said...

I'm not usually a fan of green, but I must say I DO very much like that throw and it really brightens up your sofa beautifully.

Our sofa is nearly 15 years old, so not doing too badly! ;-)

Oh and been meaning to ask, why three doors in the shed?

Lola Nova said...

It looks great with the new blanket! I love all the changing cushions.
I keep waiting for inspiration on our sofa. It's awkward in size and difficult to dress. I need to make some cushions right quick. I'm keeping my eyes open for a good afghan or pretty sheet in the thrift stores.

VintageVicki said...

What a comfy looking collection of cushions & throws :)

Me and Ma said...

The blanket is gorgeous, I really would love to learn to crochet so I can make one of those ! I am told it is not to difficult to learn and is supposed to be easier than knitting (which I can do just fine) so I should perhaps have a go, I feel quite inspired now..:)

Maisey's Attic said...

Hi - the throw is gorgeous! I'm always on the look out for anything like that - The sofa looks very cosy -

xxx

magsmcc said...

I love the stripey cushions on the afghan! Same colours, different patterns. Coming together very well! I wish I had this level of mix and match in Strawberry Land!

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Why the worldly sofa name? Well you seemed to be receiving cushions from various people in different parts of the world. I thought it sounded fun to have country cushions. I think it would be fun for people all over the world to make you a cushion for your sofa. Your new blanket could be like a flying carpet and travel to all the cushion countries.

Elizabethd said...

I have a 'vintage' sofa, well actually it is Victorian, bought in a Sale for £5.00 40 years ago! I had it re upholstered and it goes on going on, still comfortable!

Floss said...

So far I'm flying to the UK and to NZ on my flying blanket! Thanks for the suggestion and the explanation, Sarah!

JuanitaTortilla said...

For a minute, I thought, 'Wow, Floss crochet a blanket!'... It's looking very bright and cheerful.
I love the fact that the sofa survived the years! Bet it has lots of stories to share.

Unknown said...

Ooh! I love the afghan...and all the pillows, pillows are a major vice with me.