Friday, May 28, 2010

Edinburgh finds and news of my mum

You've all been so lovely, asking after my mum and also my shopping trips! I think you know how much my mother enjoys it when I go out and come back with some great finds - after all, she's the one who taught me how to shop thriftily! So, at the church jumble sale last Saturday I bought: A 1970s Scandinavian embroidery on linen - very charming. Two Laura Ashley knitted cotton scarves - very cheap! And a Lakeland Limited Christmas Card kit - very handy!
In the charity shops, in addition to the MOP buttons and some trousers, I bought: the remaining Artemis Fowl books - our boys are now big fans. A cullinder - we needed one after the last one melted! An Irish crochet mat - I'm beginning to collect this - maybe we shouldn't mention this to Ben... A cut glass drinking vessel. Two bone china mugs including one in the Hooker's Fruit pattern collected by my Mother in Law - found in the '50p per mug' basket, where they had clearly been put by someone who knew less about china than the ladies who served me! I could see they were a bit cross that someone had been that daft...
And wooden pegs, including some great dolly pegs and that one hand-made whopper - I love to think about the women who've used them in the past. Plastic pegs perish in the sun out here and just crumble into multi-coloured debris under the washing line or in the peg bag, so it's great to have a sudden increase in wooden ones...
And in an antique shop (which I tend to avoid), this fabric-covered box from the 1930s (you can see the inside with my pegs - so vibrant)...
... to add to my collection of fabric-covered boxes. I hummed and hawed about this one, as it's so much darker than the others, but I think it looks quite good! It would really go with one I sold in my blog shop, but there you go.
j
Now, I've told you all over the last year and a bit than I've been blogging for my mum, who is very ill. She has now moved beyond the treatment stage for her cancer, and is receiving palliative care. I have never gone into details about her illness because this blog has been very much for her, and she hardly wanted to read about cancer, or burden you all with it, but she's now too ill to see the blog, so I can tell you this. She is still really happy with her family and friends, and able to move cautiously around the upstairs floor of her beautiful house, looking out on her thriving garden. She still wants to know all about the blog and what we all get up to!
j
Knowing that I have made such good friends, with whom I have so much in common, through the blog, has been really important to her happiness this last year. I have a feeling that I'll be blogging a little less now that I don't have my former incentive to post daily, but I'm going to aim for three or four posts each week, as I really enjoy being part of this blogging community, and I truly appreciate your support in so many ways.
j
If you are thinking or praying for my family (and I'm so grateful that so many of you have told me you are), please remember my dad too, who is my mum's main, and truly devoted, carer.
j
Now, talk to me about my finds, as well as my parents, please!

26 comments:

Nina said...

Dearest Floss, you shall all be in my thoughts. Sending you warm regards, warm hugs and a warm kisses. Please take care. Nina

Lalabibaby @ Dreaming of The Simple Life said...

Some lovely finds Floss and I do hope your mum is as comfortable as she can be at this stage. I just got off the phone after talking to a friend ... another mutual friend of 46 years of age is also reaching the final stages of this wretched disease .... so cruel to think that a beautiful child of 11 years will be left without a mum in the very near future ... thinking about that really brings me back down to earth when I am feeling sorry for myself. Your blog has obviously brought great joy to your mum and all of us too. Thank you, take care and have a lovely weekend x

Hen said...

So sorry to hear about your mum, Floss, and you are so right that it's often the life-long partner who is suffering so much too but who goes forgotten. How lovely that they have received such pleasure from your blog.
Now to the finds, a very big well done, that giant peg is just fabby and the box looks very pretty indeed.
Hen x

Sherri B. said...

You will remain in my thoughts and prayers, especially your father, in this most difficult time. You are a good daughter and I'm sure a blessing to your mum. The Lord is so good when He lifts us in His arms and carries us through the rough waters.

I am so interested in you showing us the different types of lace and their names. Maybe when you are up to it we might get a lesson from teacher on it...love the wooden clothespins, I pick them up every time I see them...Big hugs to you all.

Serenata said...

Yes Mam! I will talk to you about your finds. Firstly I think your pegs are great, I do hope you are going to make at least one peg doll with one of the wooden ones though! ;-)

Glad to hear the boys are enjoying reading so much, it is always good when they read. Both my boys read alot, although the older one not so much now.

I love your last photo, you always display your finds so well.

I must take another photo of the tin box you sent me. It is on display, just in front of me, I really enjoying looking at her serene face.

Continued prayers for your Dad, Mum and whole family.

Elderberry-Rob said...

dear Floss, I have been thinking about you a lot the last few weeks and of course your mum has been mentioned in my prayers. It is good news that her care enables her to be comfortable to enjoy her home and garden and I hope you can feel at peace knowing that she is getting the very best loving care from your dad and knows how much you love her too. My dad was taken away by cancer so I do understand a bit how hard it is to watch somebody you love dealing with this disease. I regret not saying so many things to him so am pleased for you that you have seen your mum often and given/received so much love from one another. Your thrift finds are lovely and I expect a delightful diversion for your mum too! so when not blogging I hope you will be out hunting for new finds. Betty x

Lola Nova said...

What wonderful finds! I haven't been on the hunt for treasure in a while so, it's so fun to see what others find. I love the Scandinavian embroidered cloth.

My prayers go out to your entire family, I have watched two dear friends go through terrible cancer illness and succumb. It is so hard for all those who love them. I am so glad you have been able to spend time with your parents and with your mom through your blog. I know it meant so much to her.
Take care of yourself and much love.

Lorrie said...

I do love embroidery and you have a great piece of linen there. Those wooden clothespegs have a warmth and quality no plastic pegs could ever match.

I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers during this difficult time.

Elizabethd said...

Floss, you are a 'finder extraordinaire'! That linen and lace is just beautiful.
You and the family are on my prayer list. It is a hard time for you all.

harmony and rosie said...

I'm so sorry that you are going through this, I know exactly how you feel as my brother sadly died of this cruellest of diseases just over a year ago. Your Mother must feel so comforted by the fact that you are with her and keep her up to date with your blog. I wish you all, all my love and know that I'm thinking of you.

The finds are perfect, I love the fabric boxes and also the mug with the apple on, because my Mum has that one too.

Kate x

Heloise said...

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Marigold Jam said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. Your finds are great and will bring much pleasure and a few memories of the time you bought them too no doubt.

Jane

Angela said...

Some beautiful finds - loving the dolly pegs! Is there ANYBODY who buys those Lakeland kits at full price and then makes them up? I suspect that half are bought and donated unopened to charity shops, and half are bought up in the Lakeland sale at reduced prices!!!

Remembering you all in our prayers - especially your Dad. Hang on to the promises in Isaiah 43:2 and Romans 8:38,39.

Love, blessings and hugs x

Karen said...

Sorry to hear your Mama is having a hard time. You are a sweet daughter to be all that you can be for her! God bless you and her! I've missed blogging lately, so glad to catch up with what everyone's doing! Karen

Julia said...

Know that I will be remembering your Mum and Dad, as well as you, during this time. My heart goes out so to your Dad, as I have been where he is now. Caring for the one you love most in the world, watching them wane, is a very difficult thing. God gave me the needed strength each day to get through, this is what I will be praying for your Dad. Blessings to you all.

Jill said...

Some lovely finds, I love the pegs, could do with some more myself

Hugs RosieP x

Country Cottage Chic said...

You are all in my thoughts Floss.

Jayne

Michela said...

Praying for your mum, her caring husband and you all. I know well how things can suddenly turn into worse, as my nan is no more with us.
xxxxx

Autumn Mist said...

My thoughts are with you, Floss, as always, that you will gain the strength you need from Him. I love the fabric covered box, and all the others, too.

Jen Walshaw said...

The pegs are just so fantastic floss, you always manage to find such great things. You definitely have the eye, your mum has taught you well, you must have learned from a master.

I am sorry to hear that she is reaching the end stage, but do hope that she manages to do it with such dignity. Your father must be finding this really hard. You know that you and your family are in my thought. It is so hard to watch someone we love hurt in this way. The ripples are so painful.

Frances said...

I have read many of your posts over the past year, yet have not left very many comments.

Your writing is definitely your voice. You do it so well. I love the pictures, the action, but mainly the thoughts.

Best wishes to you, and to your mom and dad. xo

Andi's English Attic said...

Surprising the ladies didn't want to put the price up. This happens to me in a couple cs I visit. Once you have the items on the counter they have to 'check with the manager' that it's the correct price. Hmmmm.
Sorry your mum has now reached this stage of her illness. It must be hard on all of you, especially your dad. My love to all. xx

The Curious Cat said...

oh your poor mum...and you and your dad and family. I am thinking of you. Your dad must be such a superstar looking after her...what love! I hope your mum still finds things to be positive about each day and you too. I see your thrift finds must bring you a little joy - some really good things there - your mum has taught you well. Sending you all a massive hug xxx

silverpebble said...

I didn' realise your Mum was so unwell Floss. It sounds as though she has wonderful support around her - not least yourself and your Dad. My thoughts are with you x

Olga said...

I'm very sorry to find out about your mum, Floss. I'm very said about her stage of cancer, I can imagine how hard it must be for you to be so far away from her. Please take good care of her and cheer up as much as you can..a big hug for you..

Unknown said...

I love all of your finds Floss , they are truly wonderful! I have your Mum on my mind a lot, although I hardly ever mention that, as I am aware that she reads your blog, so I did not want to cause upset by mentioning her cancer. Both my parents had cancer and went through this, so I really do understand completely. Yes, you are so right to ask us to think of your father too, so often it can be forgotten how much strain the people around are under too! Big hugs to you Floss. Suzie xxxx