Sunday, May 16, 2010

Selling and Buying at the Vide Greniers...

This post is mostly about the selling, because you were kind enough to wish the boys good luck with their toy and game stall at the town's Vide Greniers today... ... and I think you'll want to know how they got on! Look how prepared Son 1 was - 'Fill a bag of toys for 2€, three bags for 5€'.
They got off to a brisk start!
Both boys were very helpful finding sets of toys for the buyers, and did lots of chatting and rummaging. Son 2 later found a small toy which was part of a set already sold, and buzzed off round the Vide Greniers to find the woman he'd sold it to. She later told me: 'This is why I love Vide Greniers - people are so kind!'
In the afternoon there was a definite down-turn. Ben arrived for a shared picnic lunch looking positively grey, as he'd discovered that his and Son 1's bike, chained up firmly outside our secluded side door, had both been stolen. This is the second theft recently, as Son 2's really good bike was nicked a few weeks ago. Fortuntely, his replacement bike wasn't stolen, but I rushed home to lock the remaining bikes into the house, and Ben went off to report the theft. It left us quite shaken, and then it poured with rain, the boys managing to put the rain cover on expertly whilst their parents were (briefly) away...
We made a few more sales in between showers, and Son 2 managed to spend most of the money he made (I wonder where he gets that from?). Son 1 has made enough to repay me a good chunk of the money he borrowed last month to buy a video game, so he's happy with the day's earnings and all his hard work.
When the second sharp shower found us covering the stall again, and many of the stall holders started packing up, Son 2 found this damselfly on our rain cover! We then decided to pack up ourselves and come home to dry off. Ben and I spent a good chunk of time sorting out alternative bike-storage (currently in the downstairs bathroom - good job we only have a few bikes lol, sigh) and planning secure storage in the future. It's a real disappointment to us as we've always felt very safe here in this town, and to have things taken from inside your garden is very unsettling. But we saw the good side of the town today, at the Vide Greniers which was run in aid of a children's charity...And here's a little peek of what mum found while the boys were working hard! I hope you'll forgive me if I leave it a few days before I do a full post about it all - I want to soak, wash, dry (how?!?!) and iron the linens before I show you the full details. What's come over me with this washerwoman business?

18 comments:

Serenata said...

Well done to the boys!
Ever so sorry to hear about the theft of your bikes though. I can imagine you all do feel a bit shaken knowing they've been taken from inside your property.

Nothing quite like washing and ironing vintage linens though is there ;-)

Me and Ma said...

I was sorry to read about the bike theft Floss.

Well done to the boys..

magsmcc said...

Well, Mrs TiggyWinkle- buying and selling, you certainly have not laid waste your powers! What did Wordsworth know?! (And him with such a strong French link too!) What a nasty taste in the mouth such unsettling events must give. Bon courage...

Nina said...

I´m so sorry to hear about the bike-theft. I´ve had two bicykles stolen, and it´s such a shock to realize that the bike really is missing and gone.
Well, best to move on and forget, to not give power to the thiefs.
We also keep our bikes indoors nowadays.

You have all the reason to be proud of your boys, and I can see where they get their warm hearts and caring from. Makes me very happy to read about your family.

Looking forward to seeing the treasures you´ve found.

sharie said...

Sorry to hear about the bike theft it must have put a damper on the day.

Well done to your two boys for doing such a good job selling their toys and I must say their stall looks very professional.

Lululiz said...

Oooh, I spy with my little eye......... a gorgeous old sewing kit? Yes? Can't wait to see it properly.
Boys, you did so well, congratulations to you both.
Thats so awful about your bikes. I know how you must feel. I hope your son isn't too upset, and that he gets a replacement soon.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Oh how annoying for the boys! Still I hope their selling boosted them enough to dull the loss of the bikes a little.

I'm seeing some rather beautiful laces/linens there! Can't wait to see what they are.

Sophie - Chez Sophie said...

Oh Floss, thats horrid that your bikes got stolen. I hope you get them back or at least replacements. Some people have no morrels!
Your finds look wonderful, can't wait to hear more about them.
Luv Sophie xxx

Sherri B. said...

There is not much worse than a thief..and stealing transportation, well you know what they used to do to horse thieves in the wild west in USA!! I will leave it at that.
Good for the boys and their excellent business sense. Looking forward to seeing your goodies.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Glad your Sons did well. Very sorry to hear about the theft. :(
Have a great week.

VintageVicki said...

Sounds like the boys did really well :)

Awful about your bikes - hopefully you'll get something sorted soon.

Look forward to seeing what treasures you found.

JuanitaTortilla said...

Sure Floss, I could get a few tips from you about this washing business.

Glad the boys did well -- not many children understand or appreciate the concept of money, and spend it like water (most unfortunately).

Sorry to hear about the theft :(

Andi's English Attic said...

Well done the boys! And going after the lady to give her another piece of toy - what customer service!
Sorry to hear about the bikes. It's a sick feeling, isn't it. It makes me want to take the thieves by the shoulders and ask 'is this really how you want your life to be?'. xx

Elizabethd said...

How sad. We just arent used to crime here in rural France, and it comes as a real shock to find it happening. we used to be able to go out and leave doors unlocked, but not now.

Sarah said...

What a shame about the bikes, it really does leave you with a nasty taste in your mouth when that happens. Good for the boys though to sell their wares!

harmony and rosie said...

Congrats to the boys for making all those sales, what a great way to learn the value of money. So sorry you had your bikes taken, how infuriating but I suppose lessons can be learned from that too. We had our car stolen from right outside our house few years ago and that wasn't much fun either.

x

Autumn Mist said...

Oh dear, so sorry to hear about the bikes going. Glad the sale went ok, though. Are the boys very fluent in French, then?

Jen Walshaw said...

Didnt the boys do well, I thinnk it is a great way for them to learn. I am busy e-baying before doing my first ever boot sale at Whitby on Fathers Day!!