Friday, May 14, 2010

Anybody recognise this?

This is an unusually shaped piece of fabric, don't you think? I wonder if you recognise what it is? In fact, it's the 'fastening' end of a French duvet cover. I use inverted commas, because it doesn't actually fasten...
... you just have to tuck it in. I find this pretty useless, I'm afraid - am I doing something wrong? I do miss dear old British buttons and poppers.
But the duvet cover itself, which is a very eco-friendly and comfortable bamboo fibre, is great!
Bamboo fibre duvet cover and pillows - E Leclerc Hypermarket a few years ago
j
Patchwork cushion - mine, made in 1979 for Daisy Gordon Lowe's anniversary of the American Girl Scouts
j
Teddy - mine and from even earlier in my past! I once saw another child go past in the street with the same teddy - weird experience for a child
j
Lavender bag - Lululiz
j
Piece of Victorian patchwork quilt - found by my grandma at a Devon jumblesale in the 1980s

13 comments:

Shabby Chick said...

Hmmmm tucking in seems a bit odd! I have a few pillowcases that don't have an envelope bit and you just have to tuck them in as best you can and I do find it a bit of a struggle keeping them under control! Your bed looks very pretty :)

Mel xxx

Me and Ma said...

Your bed looks lovely Floss. You can buy 'popper strips' where the poppers are attached to a strip which you sew on, you could sew some onto the cover to keep it closed..Have a great weekend xx

Anonymous said...

I have bought French bedlinen and I don't understand either? Good idea having a French themed display - may try to pick up a few pieces when we're next there.xx

Serenata said...

Looks confusing - think I'd have to agree, poppers or buttons any day!

Elderberry-Rob said...

'fastening covers' - about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike I should think! how about a strip of velcro that might make life easier.

Lululiz said...

Oh good grief, I couldn't cope with that either. All my bedlinen in France is from England, not specifically bought for it, but stuff I had here anyway. But I do love the old antique French linen sheets, they are the best, unbeatable.

Almost forgot to say, I was thrilled to bits to see my little lavender bag in that photo! I am so happy you still like it.

VintageVicki said...

Must be a euro thing - little son has covered from Ikea - they don't have any fastenings - ok for him as we tuck the end of the duvet under the mattress - would be no good for anyone longer than him though.

French Nanny said...

I find the tuck in bit perfect - but then I do sleep in an old French bed with wooden ends - I can imagine it wouldn't work so well on a modern divan! My friend Sue has the tuck-in cut off and buttons and buttonholes put on hers!

Jen Walshaw said...

You could always just add some velcro to keep things closed, which would make it easier. The boys are loving the jigsaw, thanks again

Floss said...

OK, so maybe it tucks into the bed, and not into itself..? Perhaps this is beginning to make sense. Thanks, Pearly Queen (a fellow France-dweller)!

Maisey's Attic said...

Hi Floss - just popping by to wish you and your family a happy weekend -

xxx

Sherri B. said...

Could it be some sort of tie to a part of the bed? This is a mystery. Hmmmm

Josie-Mary said...

Love the the bedlinen, I hate those tuck in bits.....they never work. I've had them on duvets in hotels, OH always gets really cross by them.. :) x