Monday, May 17, 2010

A Time Capsule...

Thanks so much for your kind comments on yesterday's post, friends. I hope this 'Time Capsule' post is a real treat for you - it was for me and I prepared two posts about it last week to see me through a busy few days... I'll aim to be back with my most recent finds on Wednesday!
j
During a quiet moment on our rainy jour ferie (National, or Bank Holiday), I steeled myself to open up a grotty little box I'd bought at at Vide Grenier, and was transported straight back to the Europe of the 1950s. Look how horrid the box is - I'm not really surprised that it took me months to open it - the real question is why I was motivated to buy it in the first place! Something just prompted me - Denise would be interested. I did know what was inside (a collection of match box covers), but I had no idea how varied or interesting they might be.
So as the boys played with friends on the computer next to my table, I was transported back to a time when modern design was becoming so exciting...
... and you could wear your politics on your match box...
... whatever your politics might be...
... and European countries still had colonies.
Many of the match boxes show adverts for tobacco and cigarettes - not to my taste, but this is a Time Capsule, so 1950s rules apply!
There were also many wonderful adverts for other products.
And very many beauties...
Shame so many of them are smoking!
Some of them have other roles in life.From smoking to booze - great.
And a wholesome fruit drink.
Some of the beauties are in company.And some have their fine families with them.
I can't wait to show you some of the collector's sets tomorrow! I'll be flying off to Edinburgh for a shortish visit to my parents on Wednesday, so from Thursday onwards I might have some of my mother's great collections to show you too.

13 comments:

Serenata said...

What a wonderful collection...as you say 1950 rules apply so have to accept the smoking and drinking!

I do hope you have a safe trip to see your parents and that your Mum is doing okay. Give her my best wishes, and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Hope mum is well and enjoys seeing you. The matchboxes are interesting, things like this are fun, especially for the kids to see.

Mise said...

How nice to find the real thing, rather than modern vintage-style fridge magnets fashioned like them. I wonder whether they'd look well framed all together?

Me and Ma said...

Hi Floss, I really like the images on the the first one with the houses and trees. I intend to do some Lino printing and I think the tree image would be nice and simple for one of my prints..

Lola Nova said...

Wow, what a collection of nostalgia and design! How fun to go through them and look at all the interesting ads.

Lorrie said...

What an interesting collection that speaks much about the era in which those boxes were designed. Fascinating!

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

I'm so glad we've left the smoking on adds behind. Isn't it just awful looking? THose boxes are real treasures. I agree with mise, they would be great framed.

Unknown said...

Sorry I missed your last post Floss. Your collection is amazing! I hope you have a safe journey and I send you all my love. suzie xxxx

Sophie - Chez Sophie said...

What an interesting find Floss.
It really was a little time capsual back to the 50's. Have fun at your parents.
Luv sophie xxx

Beck said...

Hey Floss! Always something interesting over at Floss Central, love the covers, they sure don't illustrate like that anymore! Shame really (except for the ciggies), I love the images and colours. Have a fun & happy trip, lots of love xo

Joy said...

I read the post about your young businessmen. I'm so impressed with their booth and their salesmanship skills. I'm so sad to hear about the bikes.
OK. This little treasure box was quite a find. I guess I never really thought about the matchbook covers. But what works of art. Enjoy your trip.
♥ Joy

Ange said...

Floss, these are truly gorgeous. Enjoy your time away.
A
xx

Lululiz said...

That sure was a trip down memory lane for me. Msde me remember all the times my brothers and I would walk along the streets, picking up empty matchboxes and taking them home. They had such pretty pictures on them in those days. Mind you, that goes back to the very early 60s, ahem.