Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Feast your eyes...

Over the course of my life (starting around the age of 8, I think) I've been incredibly privileged to know some amazing collectors. Sensing a fellow-collector, and also sensing the need to off-load which comes as collections mount up, these incredible people have given me some of the most wonderful things I own.
This feast for the eyes was sent to me by the sweet Californian Shelley, who first got in contact with me over the entertaining mystery of my photo of Marie Desclauzas.
Since we got in touch she has sent me several wonderful parcels of magazine cuttings, photos, buttons and LACE!
And handkerchiefs...
This is the second one with this type of incredible embroidery.
Look at how the details are raised and slightly coloured.
And this is the finest of all, I am sure...
I'm continuing my lace research, and will let you know about the beautiful work on this one when I get it properly identified!
These doilies are real bobbin lace, I know that.
Needlepoint lace is stitched, and bobbin lace is woven - can you see the woven sections?
These are Irish crochet - I have a growing collection of this very fine work, and was delighted to see more in Shelley's parcel!
Curious...
And beautiful!There were two of these very fine tablecloths in the parcel.
Shelly, thank you so much! I honestly am overwhelmed by the lovely things you have sent me! I hope my readers aren't too jealous, because I really feel awfully spoilt. Perhaps, I am thinking, it is a reward for Good Behaviour, as I am finally sorting, washing and tidying my clutter of fabric and lace. Perhaps, I feel, the fact that I am nearing some sort of order and coherence makes me a worthy recipient of such goodness. I do hope so...

6 comments:

Sherri B. said...

This is very interesting Floss. I have different types of lace but never really thought about identifying them. This will be a great lesson for me and look forward to you sharing your knowledge on this beautiful subject.

Serenata said...

They are all very beautiful, and it is very interesting to hear about the different types. Look forward to hearing more.

Julia said...

Ever so beautiful! I love old lace and linens. A lovely collection.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Floss, I haven't been over to see you in a while so just having a nice catch-up over a cup of peppermint tea! Thanks for your comment at mine, I managed to hit my work deadline at 7pm with a sigh of relief!!

Such beautiful lace and embroidery to add to your collection - how very generous of Shelly.

Jeanne
x

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Floss
Well I love the 'curious' doilies... they really caught me eye!! I recently bought a small antique communion purse from a blogger in france and she sent it off to me wrapped in a doily!! Gee I love the doily as much as the antique.. didn't know I was such a doily girl!

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes.. how sweet to receive wishes from new faces all over the world.. the best.. and Ange is the best!! have a lovely week xx Julie

Elderberry-Rob said...

What beautiful exquisite lacework - I want it! thankyou floss for giving me the link I was looking for this morning, will try it out later after just one more look at your beautiful lacework.