Sunday, May 9, 2010

Local and Equitable

Our town has a good record when it comes to ethical issues. Every September we have a big event of debates and workshops, and every May (for Fair Trade Week) we have a: 'Marché équitable' means Fair Trade Market, by the way. It was billed this year as a market of 'Handmade, Fair Trade and Organic' produce, which sounded pretty good for someone doing the Challenge of the Utmost Kind...
... and a Green swap!
As always, it's hardly overwhelmed with visitors, but it seems to have enough to make the event viable each year... The mum of one of my pupils is hidden behind those posters, making crèpes!
This is certainly a stall to admire...
And not only were these Palestinian products very impressive, but I adored the van and its logo!
As I was shopping for swapping, as it were, I can't reveal one of my finds, but I can tell you that I bought some symbols of justice:
Fair Trade bananas!
I have a bit of a thing about FT/organic bananas. I don't really like any other kind in the house. The poster above shows just some of the reasons why your average banana is not a Good Thing. We eat an awful lot of bananas in our house, so they are one of the few things on which I'm prepared to spend FT/organic prices. In an ideal world we'd only eat fruit we could grow in our own garden or our own country, I suppose, but I have a son who believes 'Bananas are the Only Fruit', so at least he gets ethical ones...

7 comments:

VintageVicki said...

Looks a really good event :)

I was soo tempted by the Green Swap - but decided 4 was too many for one month!! Hopefully one like that will happen again as after yesterday I've found the perfect shop for gifts!

Marigold Jam said...

It's horrifying isn't it the amount of the price that the workers actually get. One can only do one's bit as it is impossible to change the world all at once especially as half the time we don't even realise what is going on so it's good that your town has this awareness market!

Jane

MelMel said...

Great idea, that fair.....very cool!

I like your new header....xx

Me and Ma said...

Our childrens school does a FairTrade tuck shop and they have had people in explaing it all to them, they really took note and came home full of all they had learnt...

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

That sounds like a marvelous market idea. I feel so left out of markets. WE have a small one I can go to on Saturdays, but don't usually get there. We tend to stay at home during the weekends.

My favourite chocolate Whittakers, is Fair Trade and it's just a supermarket one as well. I'm actually enjoying a few pieces now :) Want some?

Anonymous said...

hello hello! I am your Green Swap partner - lucky me!! I love your blog, and pop by every now and then for a wee look. Looking forward to the swap!, Annie

Unknown said...

We always buy organic and fairtrade bananas, also tea, and milk has to be organic too! Did you watch that program a few weeks ago about chocolate and the plight of the cocoa bean workers, it is really quite disgusting how they get do exploited! Have a brill week Floss! suzie xxx