Friday, June 5, 2009

Sweet Tweet Swap

It has been a great experience doing Ele's Sweet Tweet Swap! The theme was birds and springtime, and I had a beautiful piece of vintage Chinese embroidery that I wanted to combine with European lace and linen. Having found out a bit about Ele's home and her favourite colours, I realised that these colours would go in her new dining room, so I decided to put my pieces together on a frame, for a fairly formal effect.I added in some springtime sugared violets from Toulouse, too! The lace is needlepoint lace (made with a needle, or possibly a shuttle, not bobbins). I bought it from France, but it could be from a number of European countries. I like the contrasting texture against the French linen.You have to look fairly closely at the embroidery to see why it was appropriate for the swap. There are at least five flying creatures here!
I THINK this is a crane, which symbolises long life and is legendary in China for being the prince of feathered creatures. However, the legs are not quite like the other crane embroideries I've seen, so it might just be another bird with different symbolism.The sweet bees are a symbol of hard work and industry for the Chinese, just as they are in the west!The butterfly is a symbol of a young man in love. Ahhh!And I'm pretty certain that this is a bat (but correct me if I'm wrong). Bats have a great symbolic meaning for the Chinese, because their name ('fu') sounds the same as the word for happiness.Therefore, Ele's piece of embroidery carries messages of happiness, love, industry and long life! Now on to the AMAZING package she sent me:
What a treat to open it up and find so many charming birds inside!This little notebook is in front of the computer right now, ready for notes.
Oops - the chocolates did melt, I'm afraid, but the taste didn't change and they were MUCH appreciated!The paper on this charming box is vintage music and newspaper cuttings from a dance. There's a lot to look at!And inside, stock for a wonderful Easter display next year! I can't wait!What's in here?An adorable nest necklace, in my colours!This card is up near my computer too.What a charming vase - I know what I can do with this!And I was wondering about buying a little china bird, just the other day! But that one wasn't embellished...So here are some of Ele's lovely gifts, as they have made their way around our home.I made this pile of boxes a week before Ele's parcel arrived, and knew they were just missing one more for the top...
The pretty lamp base is still in need of updating, but meanwhile it looks fantastic with one of Ele's tags!And here are beauties from two different bloggers - the heart from Sharon's Pay It Forward, and another lovely tag from Ele. They could have been made to go together, couldn't they?I have two of these little white cabinets, so it's a good thing there were two tags and two hearts!What a beautiful parcel to receive! I did experience what Ele and I have described as Swap Anxiety. Do you ever get that - wondering how the other person could possibly want what you're making, and opening their parcel feeling that yours was so much less generous? Apparantly this is normal at first and then goes away. Ele has been so sweet and helpful to me, and to the others doing the swap too, I think, so if you ever feel worried about swapping, don't panic! It's wonderful to be able to make and share special things around the world.

19 comments:

JuanitaTortilla said...

Once again, you've put so much thought and effort into an item you're making! I bet Ele loves the frame you've made for her. I would!
It is fun doing these swaps, although I suffer from the negative side-effects of Swap Anxiety; I always think the things I'm sending out are not good enough!

Alexandra said...

What fantastic swaps from both sides. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear who I am paired with for the Sleepover Swap @ Thrifty Mrs. As is this my first, I really hope I get it right!

LissyLou said...

What a beautiful swap!!

This Vintage Life... said...

What a lovely theme for a swap...and didn't you do well!
Debx
ps: glad your books arrived ok. Happy reading.

Olga said...

I loved the Chinese elements of the mbroidery and the colours are amazing - all has a very vintage element to them! The parcel - WOW, must be SUCH an exciting moment to open something like this! :)
Thank you Floss, for cheering me up with my pets, you gave the exact description of the feeling - I do still feel helpless, especially that they are so small - they are 2 guinea pigs.. we are going to the vet today again..hopefully it is only a matter of time to get them happy and healthy again..

Jackie said...

What lovely parcels to send and to receive. I love seeing what other people get in their swap parcels. I am taking part in my first swap at the moment and know just how Swap Anxiety feels. Hope you have a lovely weekend ~ Jackie :O)

This Vintage Life... said...

Floss,
Book's just arrived, thanks x

Lululiz said...

What a wonderful swap, and both of you have put so much thought into what to include. Those are very beautiful gifts all round.

Anonymous said...

Hiya Floss, a package has just arrived from France so it must be from you my dear, I'm going to get the camera to take a piccie of the package, then open it, I'm so excited! xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Floss, thanks so much for the magazines, I love them, especially the 1897 one, it is fab! I hope you enjoy your books when they arrive.
Bye for now. xxxxxxx

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great swap - so many pretty items.
Glenda

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Oh Yes, my piece is GORGEOUS! I loved hearing about the details of what you put together, BEAUTIFUL, and the candies were yummy too! I too really like the contrast of the lace against the linens. Thank you so much!

Shirl said...

Hello , Happy Sweet Tweet Swap Day! Love all your beautiful things, so many pretty things here that you and Ele swapped!
Bless you, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

debi said...

Ooooooh! You both made such lovely gifts for each other! The embroidery piece you made for Ele is stunning...and I love the beautiful bird nest box she made.

Katie said...

Having known Ele for many years, I can tell you that you couldn't have made a lovelier thing for her! Just beautiful all the way round!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!! All of it, so much prettiness I feel all summery now!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Floss, I've left a reply to your comment over on my blog. xxxx

Thecraftytrundler said...

wonderful swaps!! I love your vintage pieces, they're beautiful!! Ele's swap is gorgeous too!
I know what you mean about 'swap anxiety', and thought I was the only one who felt it! It's lovely when you see your swaps in situ in their new homes! I think I am going to have a 'blogger's corner' in my craft room, when it's done. I want to have a noticeboard with all the pretty cards I have received from blog pals!! Will post pics as and when it's finished, i have a long way to go yet!!
Enjoy your weekend : )

Sharon xx

Shsjndkdns said...

Gorgeous swap! So many lovely things! Your flags sound fab, would love to see them :) XX