Thursday, June 4, 2009

Nostalgia

I was looking for quite a different book today when I found this scrapbook, which has been in my proud posession since I was two or three (note my second birthday card on the front!). I don't remember putting it together with my mother, but I do remember looking through it with her at various stages in my childhood, and asking her about why I'd chosen particular pictures. I remember this little Christmas girl very well.
Here's a little Scottish boy - some years later we moved to Scotland for a while, and I wondered if we'd need Eskimo clothes!Most of these were obviously from cards sent to me or the family in the very early 1970s.But there were some magazine and newspaper cuttings too - I was obviously very taken with the 'live' Beatrix Potter characters.I think I thought this little girl looked like me, but I can see now why my mum never thought so.This was quite mature taste for a tiny girl, wasn't it?Someone drew the donkey picture by hand. It's initialled M.C. but I don't know if we knew the artist.I must have quite liked donkeys. Son 1's favourite toy was a blue donkey, so it's obviously carried on....Still like that donkey best...And these dogs are textured! I can see why a little girl loved them.Some favourite British and American childhood friends, here.And look at those blue flowers - I still love them!
Fantastic, surely already dated, child on her bike, and a mum and baby - a great image for a mother and daughter making a scrapbook together. I am so delighted that my mother made scrapbooks with me, and that I've kept at least this one.And look what came in the post - Ben's jam badge, so we can take some appropriate pictures for Snapdragon's most inventive catalogue...

16 comments:

Beki said...

What a wonderful thing for you to come across!
I keep meaning to do something like this with my childrens cards and drawings.
I think you've just given me the push I needed.
Take care
((hugs))
Beki xxx

Selfsewn said...

Brilliant images!
I've just bought a notebook to keep such memories!
Clare

Mrs. Cozy Home said...

Oh I love your childhood scrapbook ... you have totally inspired me to start something similar with my own little one. It's AMAZING the images she is drawn to, they are inevitably the exact ones I'm studying myself!!

It's so neat that you still remember your little self looking at and thinking about these pictures.

LissyLou said...

What a lovely collection x

anythinggoeshere said...

I love your childhood scrapbook. What a great item to have from your past. You and/or your mom did have very sophisticated tastes. Thanks for sharing your precious item with us. xo Joan

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Awww! What a sweet thing to have.

Alexandra said...

How wonderful that you still have your childhood scrapbook Floss. I did something similar with my daughter but unfortunately when my 2 boys came along I was too busy to do it for them! Now I feel guilty....

Country Cottage Chic said...

How fabulous that you still have your old scrapbook! I am a card keeper so I do have quite a selection of my old birthday & Christmas cards from the 70's.

Jayne

Sal said...

I love your scrapbook.
My mum saves all her cards (another of her collections!!) and every now and again it is wonderful to look through them and marvel at the styles of the different decades.;-)

Unknown said...

What a lovely scrap book - how lovely to have something from when you were so young. I like that badge too - very cute - I was thinking of asking for that one too.

Jeannette said...

You always come up with the sweetest posts. I loved reading it!

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

What a treasure you have! It is such fun having these glimpses into our own past! =)

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

This is the stuff of real treasures...
I remember doing just the same from my childhood and your cards and scraps could so easily be mine.. the same era!
I still have some collages I made when I was about 10 years old which I made for my mother ... they bring back sweet memories.
Thank you so much for all your kind comments and glad you liked my garden character with the Sempervivum hairdo.... They are extraordinary plants.
Michele x

JuanitaTortilla said...

That picture of the little girl in your scrapbook is adorable! It's so nice that you still have your childhood scrapbook with you. Love that jam badge!

Olga said...

Dear Floss! This is such a wonderful scrapbook! Very well done to your mom for that - it is so personal, you must have many lovely memories connected to it! And your mom as well...These are all lovely pieces and vintage cards for children are just beautiful. The drawing of a donkey is amazing - yet looking at this scrapbook we realise how much products for children have changed over the recent years - the majority for some reason comes in too bright and screaming colors..with weirs noises. What do you think of this? You must be really experienced in the area of toys as you have 2 sons - that's the reason I'm asking ;)

Anonymous said...

Floss
We must have been very similar - or at least had parents with the same ideas...I've got a scrap book with some bits in like that, probably from about the same age. I do remember sticking them in with flour and water paste at the kitchen table.
Am off to check it out and take some photos for my blog too, after the school run that is, hope you don't mind me sniping your idea!
Bev