Friday, July 29, 2011

21 years ago...

About 21 years ago, I was in Oxford - probably it was when I was trawling the vintage stalls in the markets, looking (successfully) for a going away outfit. I spotted the Ben's Cookies stall in the covered market (it was the first ever one - you can read about it here) and just had to buy Ben a tin of cookies, even though as as student about to graduate and then get married, I was pretty broke.

Spot the difference! This year, for my anniversary present, Ben bought me a second tin, filled with eight most wonderful chocolate cookies. We ate them over the last two days, and the tin will become another favourite, and may even last as long as the previous one, still going strong...I made him an anniversary card, using brass and nickel buttons, as I discovered that a 21st wedding anniversary is, technically, a brass and nickel one.

j

I like anniversaries. I like the opportunity to think back and really count my blessings...

19 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

Happy anniversary, Floss. Hope you are enjoying your summer break.

Serenata said...

Congratulations Floss! Happy happy Anniversary :-)

Heloise said...

Happy Anniversary. The covered market is great used to buy most of my fabric from the stall there, long gone.

Sherri B. said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! I have a lump in my throat over the gifts you exchanged...so very, very sweet.

xo

helen tilston said...

Hello Floss,
Wishing you a very happy anniversary and continued blessings on your marriage.
Helenxx

harmony and rosie said...

You old romantics, you! Congratulations to you both and wishing you all the best for the next 21 !

Shane Pollard said...

Happy Anniversary wishes to you both Floss - well done!!

Such meaningful gifts - I especially love your brass and nickel card - very original!

Elizabethd said...

Joyeux Anniversaire, Floss.

scrumptious days said...

Happy Anniversary!!! My parents are clebrating their 50th this month, and we are at 26!!! So Many Happy Days:0) Jude x

Jane and Chris said...

Many congratulations. A happy marriage is a blessing to all marriages!
Jane x

Andi's English Attic said...

Happy anniversary. xx

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Floss:
These are not only wonderful things to keep in themselves but also serve as reminders of very happy and precious moments.

In a similar way we have the, now, alas, empty, boxes of Fortnum and Mason's chocolate truffles which were given once as a lovely present for an anniversary.

Frances said...

Best wishes to you all on your anniversary. I love the wit and sentiment of the gift and card!

JuanitaTortilla said...

This is sweet. A happy anniversary to you and Ben.

Fat Dormouse said...

Congratulations on reaching 21. May you have many more years together, filled with love, joy and laughter

Angela said...

You are a romantic pair! God's richest blessings on you both x

Lorrie said...

Happy Anniversary! What a fun way to celebrate. They must be very special cookies!

Anonymous said...

congrats and best wishes....

Anonymous said...

Just happened across this "old" post now and had to say - my dear Mr and I met while graduate students in Oxford and we loved Ben's Cookies! I was up for two years, he was up for one, and when he went back to Paris, I gave him a Ben's Cookies mug to take with him. 14 years later, we both live in Paris and we still have the mug!