Friday, June 3, 2011

Sunday's Vide Grenier

Sunday was another sunny day, and once again, due to it being an unusual sort of weekend, I was able to head off alone to another Vide Grenier - this time in the centre of a village not too far from us. The ancient red bricks of the houses and the poignant memorials from the First World War give the road out to this village a very unique character. There were a good many stallholders selling off the contents of great-aunty's house - always a very good sign. Someone thought this stencilled platter was only worth 20c. I wasn't arguing!

A stallholder who was giving three kittens to good homes (I forced myself not to look, otherwise I'd have taken them all...) sold me these two, slim bark cloth curtains for 1€50.

I love the pattern on them, and Ben seems rather impressed too - he likes good workmanship and I think he approves of this textured fabric, which he hasn't really seen before. I picked the rusty curtain hooks and the beautifully-stitched pleats out, and the fabric has washed and ironed beautifully. Now what, I wonder?

This isn't a very special kitchen canister but it looks a bit like some others I have so is now on display with them. It might be a useful store for plastic lids before recycling, too.Never pass up a decent mirror for under 4€, should be the motto of anyone who lives in a dark house...


And finally, a pretty lining, added rather inexpertly, to an earlier and better-made, hand-crafted box.



The box seems to be hand painted, and I would guess early 20th century.

Much more recently, some young vandal added découpage CHICKENS!CHICKENS! I ask you...

j

I haven't worked out if I'll be able to get them off yet.

So it's goodbye from me, and it's goodbye from the Speckledy Hen.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Floss, Oh my goodness I love those curtains!, What beautiful fabric......don't suppose they're for sale! xx
Sophie

Fat Dormouse said...

Lovely things, Floss!
Thank you for your blog - I love reading it.
I hope you have a great tume in the UK. I'd like to meet you, but I'm staying firmly put here at the moment - too much work!

Pomona said...

I think you should make yourself a nice big bag from the barkcloth! Just right to take to more vides-greniers to carry your purchases home in.


Pomona x

Vintage Jane said...

What lovely finds - I'm so envious. Can you believe I have never been to a French market ... to be added to my list of 1001 things to do before I die! M x

Healing Woman said...

I love reading about all your terrific finds. Thanks for showing them. Yes. I agree, get rid of the hens.

Catherine said...

What a fantastic hoard! Well done! Love the fabric and I agree with Pomona...it would make a great bag! Cx

Jane and Chris said...

Love the curtains....but the chickens!!!
Jane x

polkadotpeticoat said...

All I can say is wow wow wow! what amazing treasures they are all my favorites!!!