Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Flea Markets of France - a little book review

Ben gave me this great little book for Christmas - it was on my Amazon wishlist! If you ever come to France I really suggest you put it on yours too...
I took it off the shelf yesterday when an American blogger sent me a lovely email about her forthcoming visit to France - it really answered all her questions, and now I've got it out I'm going to read more of it.
The information about Flea Markets in different areas of France is useful (it even mentions our all-year local one which I think of as a Vide Grenier...)But for me the introduction is the best part:


When to go * How to get there * What to bring * How to communicate * How to bargain * Checking market schedules * Special Sales * Transporting your purchases


If that section is useful to someone who's been here for six and a half years, it's likely to be helpful to anyone who uses it, visitor or resident. I loved the vocabulary and bargaining advice - I've been doing a lot by facial expressions and gestures up until now!


j


We have an interesting week coming up. Son 1 is currently travelling to Spain for a four-night visit with school, which is just marvellous - what an opportunity! They will be staying in Santender and visiting a lot of museums and galleries. Son 2 and I are going to enjoy some time together after school, walking the dog in our rather variable weather. Our holidays don't start until Easter Saturday, so I will be posting for Thrifty Week and Holy Week whilst working. Things might get a bit scatty... I am doing very little commenting on your blogs at the moment, although I often do have time to read them. I just seem to have energy to read what my friends are doing, without having quite the mental oomph to respond! I'm sure you know the feeling...


j


PS Blogger went nuts and posted this as I typed the second word of the title, so it's been on my blog for the last half hour simply as: 'The Flea!'

10 comments:

Elizabethd said...

Interesting to know that there is a book so full of advice about Vide Greniers.
Hope your son has a good week. Isnt it amazing the journeys these young make nowadays? My grandson is off to Swaziland as part of his College Community help week!

Vintage Tea Time said...

That looks a good book - I shall get that one! Last time we were in France, we got a very useful little booklet from the local newsagents which listed all the local vide greniers - we went to loads! Abby x

A garden just outside Venice said...

Hello Floss..could you please recommend me the best flea market for buying your thrifted gift?! If you notice too many visits from Italy, well, it's me, going though each one of your old posts...you know that nasty feeling..swap inadequacy :-)
xxx

Heidi said...

Tell us when you start heading out on these adventures I can't wait!

Floss said...

On Sunday, Heidi!

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

It's so nice to read a review from you about this book as it is on my wish list.Has been for a while. The cover alone is what tempted me but I wondered it the contents was as good as the cover and now I know. Have a lovely Easter holiday.
Isabelle x

harmony and rosie said...

I second your enthusiasm for the book, I used it during our holiday last October. The Poitier market was quite small but good fun. Happy hunting to you x

Joelle said...

I love your photo's of the book and flowers. I'm in Germany near the boarder of france. Maybe this summer I will try to venture over to some french flea markets. I love the German ones I have been to. I really want a bench made from a antique bed. I just don't want to pay a bundle. Maybe I will find one this summer.

Sherri B. said...

Your flowers are so pretty, I can't wait until my planters look like yours. You and the family do sound busy, no wonder you are done in. Have fun at your flea markets.

Purrfect Haven said...

what a lovely book it sounds and looks! Helen Darcy and Bingley xx