Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Give me everything that's left...

Yesterday I needed to get Son 1 to the doctor, just to make sure he had a prescription for enough hay fever medication while I'm away in Edinburgh. We decided to go to the afternoon session, which is 'sans rendezvous' - you just arrive and wait your turn. Knowing how long each doctor's appointment takes in France (they are very thorough, and don't rush you through the way they do in the UK), we turned up at 3.30 for a 4pm session, thinking that would give us a good place in the queue. How wrong we were! There were five people already in front of us, and then the doctor returned late from his visits (not his fault, obviously). So we didn't get into the doctor's room until about 6.45... Thank goodness for Nintendo DS games consoles, which can keep children occupied whilst waiting that long! Thus, I never got to the supermarket, which shuts at 7.30 - I'd planned a trip AFTER the doctor's - how naive. Instead, I jumped back on my bike and walked into the latest-opening baker's in town, to hear the words: 'We haven't got any bread left'. I pressed her on this and ended up buying everything she had left - a lovely nutty-brown loaf which she sliced for me, and the two bread rolls you see above, plus croissants for breakfast this morning.
Really not bad at all for leftovers!
j
I'll be flying to Edinburgh tomorrow. Ben's mum is coming out to help him look after the boys, who are on holiday. My sister is also in Edinburgh at the moment and we'll be able to visit my mum, who's currently in hospital for a short while. I intend to do some charity shopping too!

24 comments:

Heloise said...

Wishing you a safe journey and may you find your Mother improving. The sunshine will help to lift your spirits.

Lululiz said...

Have a safe journey and give your mum a get-better-soon hug from me.
I just know that you will find so many fab things in the charity shops, looking forward to seeing the pics.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Have a safe journey, hope your mum is ok - she will be all the better for seeing you I am sure. blessings xxx

Serenata said...

Hope you have a safe trip Floss and that your Mum starts improving. {{hugs}}

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

I hope your Mum is OK. I'm sure she'll be so pleased to have you with her. Have a safe trip and hopefully you'll return home feeling a little better.

Unknown said...

Have a lovely break in Edinburgh Floss. Will be thinking of you and your family. suzie xxx

aspiritofsimplicity said...

OOh...riding my bicycle to the bakery and buying the leftover bread in France sounds just wonderful to me!

Rubyred said...

Have a lovely time in Edinburgh!Last time I went to visit was 4 years ago with my daughter, such a wonderful place Amazing atmosphere, fantastic shops and food as I remember!
Hope your mum is ok!
Have a safe journey!
Rachel x

Angela said...

Bon Voyage - praying for your Mum, glad you can get to be with her.
I am sure Ben & boys will be ok, and the baker will keep supplying the bread!
blessings and hugs x

Elizabethd said...

Prayers for your Mum and for safe travel.

Jen Walshaw said...

Have a safe journey and I hope that things are OJ and that your mum is getting better.

Luisa said...

Safe travels to Edinburgh, Floss, sorry to hear your poor mum is in hospital. Not an easy time for any of you.
My thoughts are with you all, as are my heartfelt prayers.
x
I'm sure that bread tasted darn good too!

Sherri B. said...

I pray that the stay in hospital will give your Mum some relief and you and your sister will have a pleasant visit. Hope you can get some photos to share of your charity shop finds.
I pays to be persistent at the bakery,Yum.

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Safe travels and hope your Mom is feeling better. Those leftovers look delicious...
:)

Lola Nova said...

Safe journey. You and your family shall be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sure your mom will be glad to have you there.

Oh, and what wonderful finds in the previous posts, I love that enamel bowl!

Kissed by an Angel said...

Have a safe journey! I hope your mum is feeling a bit better!!! For leftovers the bread and croissants look pretty good!!!
xxxx

Lorrie said...

I'll join the others in sending wishes for a safe journey, and one that has a satisfying outcome, with your mum feeling much better.

Yummy bread!

Hannah VanderHart said...

"Instead, I jumped back on my bike and walked into the latest-opening baker's in town"

so romantic! seriously! what a great story. :)

I wish travel mercies for you!

Kelly said...

Have a safe journey, hope your Mum feels lots better!

maryannlucy said...

Have a safe journey x

Maisey's Attic said...

Hi Floss- you and your family are in my prayers. Wishing you a safe journey, and hoping your mother is feeling better - xxx

The Curious Cat said...

Gosh! That is one long wait! I hope it helped in the end and good luck for your edinburgh voyage! Hope you have a nice time and that your mum is okay?! xxx

Anonymous said...

I'm a fiend for a good brown loaf, looks perfect! Have a safe journey and hope all is well

Rebecca S. said...

I had a nice long comment but it got lost so I will just make a brief one before I go to work. I hope you will find your mum in good spirits at the very least.
I love the Toile inspired dishes and collect them, and yes, Country Living is lovely-my aunt's favourite magazine. Looking forward to seeing the Edinburgh dishes, too!
My those croissants look yummy.
Congrats to the boys on their musical performances, too!
Spring is such a busy time but I will try and visit more regularly as your blog is such a treat.
Have a good trip.