Thursday, July 16, 2009

Vintage Views

Yesterday I saw something vintage, even though I wasn't shopping! This wonderful telescopic view of the Great Exhibition in 1851 was part of an exhibition of visual and optical art. Peer through the hole and you can see a whole arcade from the Exhibition stretching ahead of you.
It would have been bought folded flat but can 'concertina' out into something about a metre and a half long!
We saw it at Edinburgh's Camera Obscura, which was a great place to visit with the boys. Well, yes, it did rain...
The Camera Obscura is Edinburgh's oldest purpose-built tourist attraction, having been opened by a woman optician in (mumble, mumble - sorry I missed the date but it was a good long while ago).It's high up and next to the Castle, and has really wonderful views, both of tourist sites and of the places we know from having family here - we could just glimpse the playing field where we've been throwing a frisbee every evening this week!

6 comments:

marble rose said...

That's amazing, I love it! You find the most interesting things to do!!!!


Fleur
xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Floss, thanks for your comment, Im sure Foxy will be fine, bless her. The bamboo yarn is wonderful to work with. xxxx

Cal said...

Gosh what a lot of interesting posts and pictures while I've been away. And the telescopic view of the Great Exhibition is so good.
Cal x

Lululiz said...

Oooh, what a fab thing, I would love to take a peek through that properly. I would probably end up with a huge long queue behind me because I would want to spend ages there studying all the details!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

There would have been a long line behind me also. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Glenda

Olga said...

Seems like you and the kids are having good time there! Have great holidays :)