Monday, August 23, 2010

Vintage Finds while Camping...

I promised you some pretty vintage after all those DIY photos, and I found some... We took a long weekend camping this Thursday to Sunday. Our aim was to explore another area, not far from home, and we settled on the Tarn.
Camping a la ferme is a great set-up - the farmers only have to provide some basics (toilets, showers and hot water) and are granted the right to host a small number of tents.
There was one night when we camped on our own, and even at the weekend there were only two other groups of campers.
We chose to camp in a field far from the hot water and toilets (honestly, with three males, who needs those things?), and with no neighbours at all.
It all made for lots of mellow lounging about, or cricket-catching, in the case of Son 2.
j
But yesterday, the nearby village (about 2 miles away) was hosting an end of summer Vide Grenier!We parked in a field and ambled down the village street in some baking heat.
And this is what I found!
An admittedly battered enamel pitcher for 4€ - I'd just turned down a more usually priced, equally battered one for 12€, so under 5€ is always fine by me.
j
And a lovely selection of old threads, ribbons, buttons and delicately embroidered handkerchief cases.

It was fun going to a Vide Grenier in an area with a different history to our own, as very different things were for sale. Even though it was only a short holiday, I have lots to tell and photos to share. While you wait for those, don't forget to sign up for the Magazine Swap (below) if you'd like some new reading-matter in October!

15 comments:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

What a very pretty collection of finds. I just love the top photo. The embroidery is so beautiful and colourful. The idea of farm camping sounds a good idea. That's not a photo of the bathroom is it?!!

Me and Ma said...

Those ribbons look lovely Floss :)

Serenata said...

The embroidery looks very pretty, and the buttons and ribbons are great. Lovely place to camp by the looks or your photos.

Had a comfy nights sleep! ;-)

Unknown said...

Oooh I love your finds, especially the embroidery! Susie xx

Beck said...

You know I love to see you treasures Floss! And I'm enjoying hearing about all your many camping adventures too. I feel like I am there with you and not hear at home with sick kids and the winter blues. I'm not up for the magazine swap this time but hope it goes well, it's lots of fun xo

Elderberry-Rob said...

very pretty finds, I like the jug a lot. You have been having such a nice time with your camping lately. I love to read about it.

Sherri B. said...

How unexpected to go camping and find such pretty treasures. The pitcher would look great with a big bunch of wildflowers in it...Have a good week.

Lola Nova said...

Gorgeous finds as always!

Sarah said...

I love the embroidery, and a great idea by Sherri for the pitcher - wild flowers!
x

Elizabethd said...

You couldnt go on a trip without finding a vide grenier!

VintageVicki said...

That looks the perfect sort of campsite :)

Am supposed to be heading to one even more basic for the night this week for a friends birthday party - apparently just one tap & a loo - can't wait!!

Pink Feather Paradise said...

What a fabulous pitcher... and the embroidery is beautiful...

x Alex

Jen Walshaw said...

You always find such wonderful things Floss. I am craving some time camping, but MadDad has no time off as he is covering for the boss

marble rose said...

Floss! I can ALWAYS rely on you to seek out answers for me - I just knew as soon as I did the post that I would hear from you! Thank You!

Still visit all the time - sorry for lack of comments though
xxxx

silverpebble said...

Ooh ooh ooh, treasure of the very best kind!

How are those hoopoes?