Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bread for the journey

In December, or maybe even in early January, I finally read a little phrase which made sense of something important that has been happening in my life. Here's part of the quote: "Many of us will be aware in our own experiences of this food for the journey - the 'viaticum' of Catholic piety. When we needed it most, God fed us. Our 'manna' may have been literally the Eucharist... but it may also have been another's prayer, or a friendly visit, or a word of scripture... Like manna in the desert, it was not to be kept and hoarded: it was food for that day, and that day alone. Food is given to be gratefully consumed, to become part of us. As the modern health slogan says, 'You are what you eat'."
I can't tell you how much that quotation, from Hope in the Wilderness, by David Winter, jumped out at me! It applied so directly to the books I'd been reading, the blogs I'd found, and the support of some of you super bloggers out there. What had been surprising me all year was that many of the most profound things I was learning were coming from non-Christian sources, so how was God speaking to me through them all? That quotation seemed to put it all into context - these books and blogs and blogging contacts have been God's way of feeding me in a difficult year, and also of preparing me for both challenges and blessings which continue to come. Without them (and therefore without you, blogging friends), I don't quite know where I would be, or how my family would be coping. So this year I continue to gratefully consume what God is putting before me, even if the source of some of it isn't what I would have thought of as 'kosher' before this last year! I need to test it as I read, but that is second nature to me. The harder part is not rejecting it simply because it's not what I'm used to.j
Lent is coming - Mardi Gras is on Tuesday 8th March, the day we fly back to France. If you would like to join in A Pause in Lent with me this year, do have a look at this logo on my sidebar, because it includes a link to tell you more. Just leave a comment on this post or any later ones if you'd like to join in!

I nearly forgot - the photo at the top of this post is of Son 1 doing sit-ups in our Coulée Verte - the 'green corridor' provided for recreation in our market town.

14 comments:

Forthvalley scribe said...

Hi Floss! Just to let you know the handkerchiefs arrived yesterday - they are lovely! I'm going to be doing some'as without so within' posts in Lent and will link them to the 'Pause in Lent'. It was a really good experience last year.

Luisa said...

Hi Floss, sorry it's been a while since i visited! I'm a little short on blogging time lately, so i'm sorry to hear your dad has been unwell, and that your son had a trip to hospital, (waiting in hospital waiting rooms isn't much fun is it? - we had one of those times last year!)
I do agree that God gives us just what we need at the appropriate times, and i'm certain he speaks to us in ways that 'meet' where we are, not just in scripture, or in church.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

stopped by from SS. Hope your weekend is going great.

Anonymous said...

I think this is the first time I have visited your blog. Thank you for sharing how God is working in your life. Happy Spiritual Sunday!

Elizabethd said...

Lovely thoughtful post, Floss.
I'm with you on the Pause for Lent again, please.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Hi Floss, yes I am finding this too 'God moves in mysterious ways' and all that - clearly he does move amongst us in blogland too and in this year since I started blogging I have received many helpings of 'food for thought,. Betty x

Pamela said...

So appreciate the times I am fed by God. Many times through blogs such as your own.

Unknown said...

Hi Floss, I'm so sorry you're getting pushed from so many directions and so glad you are also being hugged hard by God.

I already had Lent devotions on my editorial calendar so very happy you are up to doing this as well. I was really blessed by it last year - and by you so much of the last two years.

You and your family are in my prayers!

Marigold Jam said...

I seem to have missed the earlier post about this Pause for Lent idea but count me in. I maight have my own take on the proceedings but it sounds like a good time to be taking stock and thinking about wht is important in life and I look forward to seeing what the other bloggers come up with too. Surely God moves in mysterious ways and it may be that blogging is one of his tools.

Jane

Fat Dormouse said...

I'm not in a hugely great place at the moment with God - very confused, I think, would sum it up. But it might do me good to get involved in something like this.
I'll try to be regular about it, but make no promises!

Jane and Chris said...

I would love to join in Pause in Lent.
Jane x

Angela said...

Please count me in to this again! my earlier comment appears to have got lost in the ether!

Unknown said...

I've only just found your blog, by seeing a link on Angela's blog, but A Pause For Lent looks interesting and I will have a good look and possibly join in.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how God knows just what we need and when we need it. Thank you for sharing this post with us on Spiritual Sundays. I've found so many wonderful bloggers and have been blessed more than I could ever have imagined.
Charlotte