Thursday, March 7, 2013

Violets of Toulouse

Toulouse is famous for its violets - you can find them chrystalised as gifts in every tourist shop of the area (they're delicious). The Toulouse violet is a special type, with a double flower. I bought some and planted them a few years ago, but the area where I put them turned out to be on top of our water pipe, and when it sprang a leak the famous violets were sacrificed to the neighbours' mini-digger!
No matter, as I prefer the single, wild flowers, which are bursting into bloom on the trackway down to our town's clay-pit lake. I have a few in the garden, but nothing beats finding them blooming by the side of the path, unless it's finding some more unusual white ones further along:
I snapped some photos with my phone (still trying to get used to the concept of a thing I can carry in my pocket which does more than make calls). Raja and I were the only people there to appreciate them on a very windy day - but I imagine they are much appreciated by everyone who walks along there.
I found a very informative blog article, in English, on the Toulouse violet industry here - I shall be back to visit Vanessa at her La Lune blog again, now I've found her on my search for articles about violets!

12 comments:

Elizabethd said...

I love violets, but the ones I remember vividly from childhood seem to have disappeared. They were deep violet and very scented.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Aren't they pretty, we had lots in the woods last year but none here yet - my mother always had posies of them but you don't often see them to buy any more.

Sherri B. said...

I love the violets too. They hapven't popped up yet but soon will be showing up on the edge of the hill here on the property..such a mood lifter. xo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link and the kind words. One day I will actually get to the Toulouse Violet Festival, if only the weather would allow it. That's the problem with it being held in February. Pleased to have found your blog.

Carole said...

Oh yes, they smell very good ; I love the bonbons à la violette, and sometimes in restaurants you can find cocktails with violet syrup : divine !

dottycookie said...

We have tiny violets growing in our garden - I planted a single small plant a few years back and now they are spreading all over the place. Lovely!

Josie Crafter said...

Hey there Floss, thank you for popping by!
I do love violets - naturally - and there are lots in my garden. They've all arrived of their own accord, which is a lovely gift in itself. They make me smile. I love seeing illustrations of them too, on vintage cups, cards, etc.
Wishing you and yours happy days,
xx

Jane and Chris said...

We have lots of wild violets on our property...they are always something to look forward too.
Jane x

Lorrie said...

Such pretty violets. We have a few in our yard, but I haven't seen them yet this year. Violets are so romantic - they feature in many novels.

Janice said...

Lovely violets, and the link is great too...one to follow I think. Thanks J.

polkadotpeticoat said...

These are so pretty....I agree with Sheri...Heidi

Pom Pom said...

Hi Floss!
Oh, they are so lovely! So soft.
Thank you for your comment today. YOU are such a thinker. I love that, of course!