Friday, March 22, 2013

A little red hen... or 20!

Spot the difference?
On the right, Rosie the French hen. On the left, the only cracked plate from a large service which I found in the charity shop for 40€ today!
40€ is an awful lot for me to spend, but see the hand-painting on the large cockerel serving bowl, and note how he's different to his red hen, above. Some of the other serving plates, platters, bowls and soup dishes have chicks on them too!
I'm going to pack away a lot of my other vintage plates and bowls, and go all-out for this vintage French chicken theme for a while... and my 40€ expenditure was quickly vindicated when I heard an antique dealer excitedly asking to buy the service, which was already half-wrapped! Yippee - I got there before the brocante dealer, for once!

8 comments:

Serenata said...

Fabulous! So pleased you beat the dealer. It looks wonderful.

Elizabethd said...

Felicitations, Floss!
It looks lovely, what a bargain!

Unknown said...

They look lovely.

Elderberry-Rob said...

This is so pretty - really would love it myself! especially as there are variations - looks like someone collected this for some time and new editions were added - wonder if you have found a golden egg here? Betty

Anonymous said...

I love it! Beautifully painted and gorgeous colours. Well done for finding such a bargain!

Lorrie said...

So French. So pretty. Lucky find for you! Enjoy!

Kezzie said...

This makes me really happy! That crockery totally makes me think of my deceased maternal Grandmother- she had the most amazing chicken mouth jug I adored which I inherited!! She loved chickens!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful plates. I'd love to own them. And well done for getting there before the professional. They patrol the vide greniers making derisory offers for things they then sell for 10 times the price!