Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Vide Grenier in the Rain...

... turns out to be a great place to shop! I bought the bits and bobs above while the grey clouds gathered this morning - an English royal memorabilia jam pot, a reproduction tin, a mirror for the growing collection, a frame, a jug and a job-lot of vintage-ish tea towels all for 50c or 1€ each.
Then the clouds opened and the real bargains began! By the time I left the cozy hall full of craft stalls, the household stallholders were packing up or covering their wares with plastic, and most of the serious dealers were also packing up, fairly phlegmatically. One chap sold me this for 4€ after a bit of bargaining- it would usually have cost me quite a bit more, despite the damage...

it's HUGE!Then a rather disgruntled Moroccan dealer sold me this for under his (alleged) buying price - 5€!


OK, it's a bit beat-up, but it's a great example of decorated enamel. And the 'somehow not quite right' display of pitchers, candles etc that I'd put in the corner on Monday now seems to have simply been waiting for this pitcher to come and complete it!I keep taking peeps at it - can you spot it in this photo?


It's here, to the left of the fireplace.Here's the grand haul - I bought four fleece jumpers for the boys (50c each), a big basket for throws and blankets and some lace and linen too!The rain really did me a lot of good this morning - and thank goodness it has lasted long enough to refill our garden cistern too!

j

Thanks for all your comments - if you haven't already seen my post about my London trip (from which Blogger has eaten all the comments), please do have a look and see if you might be able to join us for some trips around exhibitions and maybe a boat ride, too! More details will follow.

9 comments:

Pomona said...

I didn't have any luck in the charity shops today - nor have we had any rain. I think you have done well on all fronts!

Pomona x

polkadotpeticoat said...

Floss your enamelware finds are Beautiful.....that bowl is my favorite and all the linens! It's me formerly Bord and Butik I have had to start over keep our little family in your prayers!

VintageVicki said...

What a good haul :)

MrVV & I are heading to the bootsale tomorrow morning - here's hoping there's some pretty bargains for me.

Angela Murrills said...

Hi Floss: What enviable finds. I think the tin is from La Cure Gourmande. We had the same experience this morning. Threatening clouds over Montségur and drizzle meant only a small number of shoppers and vendors keen to sell. My haul included a kitschy cup with pix of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier on it and a lovely old platter. I'll post more info tomorrow at www.deepsouthoffrance.blogspot.com. The forecast is good thankfully because we have FOUR vide grenier possibilities tomorrow including one in our village of Léran.

harmony and rosie said...

Lovely finds, glad to hear the rain is good for something (not just the garden).

There's a chance I may be able to join you in June but I can't really confirm until nearer the time. My husband travels an awful lot and often at quite late notice!

Fat Dormouse said...

I really must try to get over my feelings that Vide Greniers are "other people's tat"...We have a big 2-Day Postcard-and-Coin Brocante/Vide Grenier here at the end of July, but I usually look at stuff with a jaded eye, thinking "I don't need that..."
I already plan to try to look for some ephemera I can use in card making, but maybe I should try to look at it with a "Floss eye". Do you want to come over in July and teach me what to do, Floss?!

Luisa said...

I like the depth of colour in your new enamel pot next to the others, definitely seems to have made that spot cohesive (I love it when that happens) x

A garden just outside Venice said...

Everything has been cancelled because of the rain here :(
I've got one of those Chinese enamel bowls, it has a lantern and roses printed on, I think it's a very hilarious pattern.

Jen Walshaw said...

You have some great purchases their floss. Sorry I have not been commenting much, I am feeling at a loss really without mum