Friday, June 11, 2010

What a week!

It's had snails, loo roll, trolls... Let's begin with the troll, shall we? This week we exchanged Ben for a troll. He went to Scandinavia on business (back later today, hurray!) and his place at the table was filled by a Scandinavian trolless. Seemed appropriate... She was created by Son 2, who went with his half-Swedish friends to the Scandinavian Fair in Toulouse - they did this quiz together (I am quite proud to think of my British son doing a quiz on Swedish and Norwegian in French) and generally had a great time.
Now, I warned you about the snails... This is Son 2 again, who adores the smaller, slimier side of life, and currently has about 10 pet snails, who are taken out for 'walks' at least once a day.
Rain or shine (and we've had both this week) you can find him staring rather delightedly at the antics of his snails on my window. Or not my window, this week. I'm going to move those decorations - they're not safe.
Son 1 has been active too, just less photographed! When his brother was at the Scandinavian Fair, he was on a fishing afternoon, and got some great support from experienced fishermen. He caught a carp, which he ate for tea that evening. Bony.
j
And for me, the hightlight of the week has been the blogging/MOPS connection! Thank you so much for all your helpful and fascinating comments on my post below. I referred to some of them directly at the MOPS session, and suggested that the mums log on and read the rest themselves!
j
But what is going on with the loo roll?
Do you have a clue?
Yup, the pre-talk activity was to create two beautiful brides from nothing but loo paper and sellotape. (Aren't I speaking British?)
Don't you think we did well?
And then the icing on the cake - very nearly literally. Son 2 was flabbergasted but delighted to win Sherri B's recipe competition last week. His prize arrived very promptly - the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, and he opened the parcel and began pouring over the recipes.
This one looks stunning and we do grow both red and yellow raspberries, so it's a possiblilty later on in the year! But I think the chocolate buttercream cake will be the one that gets made this weekend. Thank you so much, Sherri, for this lovely competition and the truly appreciated prize.

13 comments:

Elderberry-Rob said...

what a week - not sure about the snails though!

JuanitaTortilla said...

Boys will be boys. I'm not sure I'd even STAND near a snail, let alone touch one. (I know, I am a sorry excuse for a biology major...)

Jen Walshaw said...

I love the pic of the snails going for their walk - he he h. Can not wait to see the cooking that will be wiped up in the Floss household

Unknown said...

Oh Floss this post did make me smile! I used to love snails when I was little, and used to collect them, taking them for walks just like that too! I used to love to watch their little tentacles slowing sliding up, I could watch them for hours slowly uncurling from their beautifully marked shells, and I used to imagine that inside the shell there was a little house! I loved your last post, and came in rather late with my comment... the early hours of this morning! Have a happy slime ridden weekend! I am so glad to hear that I was not the only child on earth ot love snails! Suzie xxx

Maisey's Attic said...

This post made me smile...love the picture of the snails - glad your talk went well...have a good weekend - xxx

Lyn said...

Well isnt the rhyme-
What are little boys made of?
frogs and snails and puppy dog tails.
Enogh said.
Love
Lyn
xxx

Elizabethd said...

Well done your son! Is he going to be the new Jamie, do you think?

Lululiz said...

OMG, those snails!!! Definitely not my favourite pets! Its great though that he takes such an interest in nature.

Sherri B. said...

What a week! How clever of you to have the troll so there is no 'empty' place at the table.. Good job on the quiz..We play that toilet paper game quite often at wedding showers and is always so much fun...It is so nice to know that son 2 is pleased with his prize and if I was a snail living in France I would stay out of that young chefs clutches, ha, ha, ha.

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

THOSE SNAILS! They are HUGE! The only snails we have that large here are the "moon snails" at the beach. Our land snails are much smaller. They really ARE small pets! I think my youngest boy would LOVE those!

Serenata said...

The snails did it for me! I had to leave and come back a day later! ;-) Seriously though, looks like he is enjoying them. I remember having snail races with a friend as a child and I also have a picture of my boys watching their snails race! I remember I also had pet crickets...sends shivers down my spine now.

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Floss - I am jealous of YOU! YOU ARE IN FRANCE!!!! (I guess the old saying holds true... "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"! lol) Perhaps one day I WILL make it to France; my hubby's side hails from La Rochelle and we'd love to see it in person someday. Happy Sunday!

Andi's English Attic said...

Congratulations Son no.2 (even though you collect snails!) xx