Friday, April 9, 2010

American Country Living

I'll deal with the first thing, first: yesterday's concert went really well, thanks! Son 1 played a Prelude by Bach beautifully, and Son 2's reluctance showed in a slight lack of practice, but he still had real style as he made his way through The Entertainer, despite a few hiccups! We stayed up late to listen to all the players, and Ben helped out with serving drinks afterwards - a good time was had by all. Now, thanks to Sherri B, I have found the American magazine of my dreams, and it is Country Living. I've enjoyed all the American magazines you lovely people have sent me, but I have to say that this is the one for me. Sarah commented the other day that she found it a very quick read, and I guess that just depends on the level of your determination to read it cover to cover - I've found some others a bit of a 'skim-read', but for me, this one was a 'milk every drop of information out of it' read and I am still taking my time over it! I wanted to show you two articles because they remind me of collections at my parents' house - which means that my mum and grandma collected them over the years. Remember the toile-inspired china above, because I'll show you some when I get to Edinburgh next week, all being well.
And can you guess what these are?
They're a collection of decorative tape measures!
I'm not sure that the family collection has any figurative ones, but I'll have a good rummage while I'm there and I bet I'll find something good to show you...
Tomorrow, I'll take you on a Grand Button Hunt, inspired by Marigold Jam.

11 comments:

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

That is without a doubt my most favorite magazine! I've subscribed to it for years (nearly my entire married life). I find it very enjoyable reading, and the photos are stunning (they make me want to redecorate my house with each issue that arrives in my mailbox)! =)

Sherri B. said...

I am so pleased that you are enjoying the C.L. mag. I have not missed an issue in decades (no I am not going to say how many). The tape measures are great and I got very excited about them because I have one of a globe made with velvet and the tape comes out of the base so it may be a treasure I didn't know about.

Congrats. to the boys on their good jogs on a job well done. And good quess about garlic on my blog, I hadn't even thought of that so I will investigate that avenue. Have a great weekend.

Michela said...

Hi Floss! You've chosen some great pages, especially the 1st one (we are trying to copy that style in my kitchen..with not so much success I would say ;-)
Wishing you and yours a lovely weekend, hope your mum's health is improving! xxx

Me and Ma said...

Amazing tape measures Floss and much less likely to be 'lost' under a pile of fabric. Although I don't think I could hang one around my neck as I tend to do, without knocking myself out anyway !

Unknown said...

Aren't those tape measures just wonderful! And I do love the china, really gorgeous pieces. So glad the boys enjoyed their evening! Have a splendid weekend Floss! suzie xxx

VintageVicki said...

Well done to your boys :)

Only ever seen American CL on blogs but they do look great. I like the look of the beehive tape measure.

Maisey's Attic said...

Hi Floss - I've loved looking at these pages - great tape measures!
Hope your mum is feeling a bit better now. Wishing you a happy weekend - xxx

Kissed by an Angel said...

Well done to your sons!!! I love American magazines!! Have a great weekend!
xxxx

Glenda/MidSouth said...

I read your post and was ready to comment - stopped to do something else. Left to go to a bead shop and lunch. Just got back in and still had your blog up on the computer!! Talk about getting side tracked! :-) I recently let my CL magazine subscription run out, and now wished I didn't. Have a great weekend.

Serenata said...

Fabulous tape measures! Oh to have some like that in a collection.

My magazine swap was an American Country Living. Haven't had a chance to blog about it yet though.

Did the boys like the pictures of the insects? ;-)

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

I saw this article too as I subscribe to the American country living and would you guess what I got for my birthday by pure chance…a china Hula girl that’s also a tape measure! My mum saw it and thought I’d like it and I was squealing telling her about the article I’d seen! I’ll do a post on it.

Victoria xx